Chapter 10: Preparing

I wake up with a pounding headache. Thoughts of last night drift into my head as I become more alert. Today will be our last day of safety. Tomorrow, The Games begin. I can't think about that now though. I know that today, I will have to be strong because today is the day the interviews take place. I have to make an impression in front of the Capitol citizens to ensure that I get sponsers while i'm in The Games. That's all that matters today.

When Haymitch walked out after the training scores last night, I went straight to bed. I could tell that everyone thought I was a weak, silly, little girl who cries at the slightest thing. I am though. I know I am.

I clamber out of my bed and stalk into the shower. The water is warm; trickling down my body. I wish I could stay here forever. But I can't. I stay in the shower for 10 minutes and then get out. I quickly get dressed so that i'm not cold for too long. I pick out a blue top and a white skirt and make my way down to the breakfast room. No ones there. I take some eggs and toast from the side and sit down. I'm glad there's no one here, but my happiness doesn't last long though. Haymitch walks in. He sees me and retreats a bit. However, he then decides to come and sit next to me.

"I'm sorry for last night." He says quietly.

"It's fine," I say, "I don't blame you for being ashamed."

"I wasn't ashamed. I was upset for you."

"Upset for me?" I question.

"I wanted you to get a higher score so that you at least wouldn't be a first target. But now..."

"I was going to be a target anyway, Haymitch."

"Maybe not..."

We sit in silence until he speaks again:

"You should probably get ready for the interviews tonight. Make sure to show your shy, innocent side; the audience will love it."

"That won't be difficult." I give a small laugh.

**********************************************************************************

I take the elevator to the ground floor. This is where i'll get ready to go out onto the stage.

"Hello, Prim." Cinna greets me when I walk into the stylist room.

"Hi." I reply.

"It took me a while to figure out your outfit, but Haymitch told me you were playing the innocent card. So, I created something that may suit this character..."

He shows me my outfit and I put it on. It's a short, baby pink dress. It's completely straight, no frills, no puffiness, no patterns. Only one flower that sits on a ribbon that wraps around my waist line and the straps cover my shoulders. I've never worn anything like this before. I can't wait for everyone to see it.

"How do you like it?" Cinna asks.

A smile creeps onto my face, "I love it Cinna!" I run up to him and wrap my arms around him.

"Now, that's enough of that," He pulls away, "You're grown up now."

I thank him for the dress and walk out of the stylist room. I follow the sounds of the screaming crowd and find the line that i'm supposed to wait in until it's my turn to go on stage. Like always, they call us up District by District, so i'm last. Because of this, my nervousness and stomach churning sickness has to be dragged out even longer than everyone elses.

Time passes by and the pressure keeps building everytime a tribute goes out there. I think of my sister and mother watching the interviews and trying to guess what i'll be wearing, whether i'll be nervous, whether i'll answer questions truthfully or not. I don't know the answer to the last question myself. Before I have a chance to answer it, I realise that i'm up next. The camera man guides me up the stairs and I carefully walk onto the stage.