Chapter 12: Let The Games Begin

Peeta looked tough on stage last night. He kept his answers short and sharp; it was weird to hear him speak at all.

After the interviews, we went back up to our penthouse. I spent most of the night watching the parade on the streets of The Capitol. I was told that the Capitol citizens always celebrate the night before the games actually begin. If only they knew what it was like waiting to be sent to your death.

I walk with Haymitch. The hovercraft which will take us to the arena awaits before us. I wear a plain black suit; I'm guessing this is to keep my body warmth in while I'm in The Games. I'm grateful for this but, this makes me worried that the arena will be cold. Coldness has never been something I've liked.

Sickness washes over me as we approach the hovercraft. I know Haymitch has to leave me now, and I know I'll never see him again.

"Now remember, don't go into the cornucopia, run away and find water. Without water, you won't survive. Got it?" Haymitch says sternly.

"Got it." I say back.

I haven't told him about teaming with Rue. I know he would only tell me not to. I haven't thought about this before but, how will I even find her when The Games begin? The only way I could meet her is if I waited at the cornucopia for her, but that's too risky; I would be killed straight away.

"Good luck, Prim." He kisses me on the cheek and steps back.

The walkway is steep to get into the hovercraft. I manage to make it up. I turn around and take one last look at Haymitch walking away before the slope door shuts. All the tributes are placed in seats in the hovercraft. A lady in a white suit guides me to an empty seat and injects me with something, I don't ask what. I look across the room and see Rue. She mouths something to me:

"Tracker."

Tracker? Then I remember. My mother told me that they have to find out where all of us are in the games, so they insert trackers into our arms so they don't loose us.

The hovercraft shakes and I feel it starting to rise. It's time to go.

The ride isn't too long. We land and all the tributes go their separate ways. I'm shaking so hard as I walk underground towards the waiting room. I meet Cinna and he embraces me in a hug. We hold it for a long time.

"I'm counting on you to do well, you know." He says, his chin on my head.

"I don't know how i'm going to do this Cinna." I whimper.

"You're strong than you think, Prim." He breaks away from me.

"30 seconds until launch." The voice over indicates for all the tributes to get onto the pedestals for the launch.

I stare at the pedestal in fear. Cinna walks over to a hanger and grabs my outfit for The Games. A black coat with an orange rim on the seams. He puts it on me.

"Time to go." Cinna whispers.

Tears well up in my eyes. I drag my feet to the pedestal and step onto it.

"10 seconds until launch." The voice over reminds us.

The glass seal closes and i'm trapped. I put my hands on the glass and stare at Cinna, wide eyed. My breathing quickens and I can hear my heart pounding. Pounding. Pounding.

I come to a clearing. The sun is bright. My vision becomes clear and I finally see the arena my fate will be decided in. A green and brown area. A big forest. This was one of the environments I didn't want to find myself in. The smell of pine trees fill my nose. The only thing that stands out is the cornucopia in the middle of the arena. Its metallic silver presence is mesmerizing. Around it, there are scattered weapons everywhere, ranging from knifes, to swords to spears, to bows. The other tribues look frantically around the arena. A hologram orange-see through clock is ticking on top of the cornucopia. 19, 18, 17, 16...

Getting closer and closer to 0.

15, 14, 13, 12...

The other tributes are ready.

11, 10, 9, 8...

Run away from the cornucopia.

7, 6, 5, 4...

Don't forget to run.

3, 2, 1, 0.

The gun goes off. I don't forget to run.