Chapter 5: The Capitol

"Up up up! It's going to be a big big big day!" Effie bangs on my door.

Today is the day we get to the Capitol. The day we ride on the chariots and expose ourselves to the Capitol Citizens. Judgement day.

I search in my draw for something to wear. I don't think it really matters. My stylist will dress me in whatever he or she wants later anyway. I pick out a cream top and black leggings. I attach my mockingjay pin to the left side of my chest and walk out.

I dodge through a series of doors until I come to the dining cart where what looks like my mentor and Peeta are sitting at a table. I walk over and pull up a chair.

"Ah, you must be Primrose." My mentor says.

"Prim, actually. And you are?" I say back.

"Well nice of you to join us, Prim. I'm Haymitch. I have the pleasure of being your mentor."

"Nice to meet you." I out stretch my hand, waiting for him to shake it. He doesn't.

"Well, it's not that nice." He smirks and grabs a glass with a substance in it. It smells alcoholic.

People have told me stories about him. How he sometimes turns up to the reapings, but always has to be escorted out of the view of the public and the cameras. He's usually stumbling around; drunk out of his mind.

We wait in silence for a few minutes.

"Are you two ever going to speak to eachother?" Haymitch says sarcastically.

I look at Peeta.

"Hi." I say childly.

He doesn't say anything to me. He doesn't even look at me. Why? Is he still in shock from the Reaping? Does he just not like me?

"Oo, cold." Haymitch says snidely.

I turn my head and look out the window. The Capitol.

"Looks like we're here." Haymitch says to us both.

Peeta eagarly gets out of his seat and runs to the window. By the time he gets there, the train goes through a tunnel. He sighs, but his face brightens again when the tunnel comes to an end and we see an outburst of people. They are dressed extravagantly with bright wigs and ridiculous make up.

With Peeta being so unfriendly, i'm surprised when he starts waving at them, making them scream and cheer.

"The tributes! The tributes are here!"

"They're so wonderful!"

"I'm so excited."

They shout to us. Some of them are hugging, some are holding their children up to get a glimpse of us.

The train comes to a hault and the doors slide open. The crowd roars but they don't spill into the train. Effie leads us to the open door. The crowd is held back by two bulky body guards. They make a path way and we push our way through the outstreched hands. Their screams fill my ears.

A giant compound towers infront of us. It's massive. We enter and the hallways still echo with the shouts; even though the doors have been shut.

I'm mesmerised by how big this place is. When I snap back into reality, I find that i'm alone. I hear Effie's voice chirping round a corner, but decide to carry on wandering by myself. I want to be alone.