Ebb of the Night (Chapter 7)

7.

Doyle walked in the suite to see Zach and Kyle watching television, Layla was asleep with her head in Zach's lap. They were both grinning like little kids as they saw him walking in unbuttoning his shirt. At this moment he wasn't in the mood to talk and hoped his cousins got the clue. Doyle quickly removed a beer from the refrigerator and chugged it down, hoping to drown out his feelings and thoughts, but it didn't seem to happen after about the fourth or fifth beer.

"What's wrong man?" Zach asked quietly as he stepped into the kitchenette leaving Layla asleep on the couch.

"I really don't care to talk about it." he mumbled as he chugged down another beer lining the bottles up on the counter.

"Doyle? How could the date go bad, she's meant for you, right? You felt that spark, that connection, right?"

"Dammit Zach, I said I don't want to talk about it! Why can't you understand that!" His anger was closing in on his breaking point, back at home when he was to this point he'd usually go for a run and that would clear his mind but wolves weren't usually seen in Cabo, so he would have to calm down like most humans did, ALONE! He reached in the refrigerator and removed three more beers and strode off to his room slamming the door behind him.

The slamming of the door caused Layla to stir on the couch making Zach quietly curse Doyle under his breath. Quickly Zach walked back to the couch slipping his arms under her body and lifting her up into his arms. Waking up slightly Layla looked confused at him, "What's wrong?"

"Doyle's in a bad mood, I don't want his ranting to wake you up." He smiled slightly at her and kissed the tip of her nose as he walking into the bed room kicking the door shut with his foot. Zach placed her gently on the bed that was already disheveled from their previous romp in the bedroom.

"What's wrong with Doyle?" She asked as she pulled a blanket over her petite body. Zach placed his head in his hand, obviously having a hard time thinking of how he'll explain this to Layla.

"Lay, you have to understand were's can sense our mate, there are signs that we feel once we've meet them. Usually it's a tingling or a spark, it's as humans say, love at first sight. But until about twenty years or so ago were's couldn't mate with humans or so we thought. So it's still fairly new when we mate with humans. Sometimes humans don't feel what we feel and the intensity in the relationship isn't as strong as it is for us." Zach paused hoping she caught on to what he was explaining. "So for example, between you and me, I would gladly die for you. I love you, you may not feel that way towards me yet because we've only known each other for about 2 days now. Eventually you'll grow to love me, but for us were's it's instantly."

"Huh. So how does that explain Doyle?" Zach sat there giving her a knowing look and suddenly it all clicked in her head. "Doyle's mate is Andy?!?" She yelped as she sat up in bed. "I've got to talk to Andy, explain everything, make her understand." Zach held his hand out for her to stop.

"This isn't our place to intervene, Doyle will tell her at his own pace. We don't even know if he told her yet, so we wait until we know for sure. You still have to watch what you say around her, and act like you know nothing." Layla nodded as she pouted, Zach chuckled lightly at her and drew her into his arms hugging her.

"I love you. I know you may not want to say it yet, but just know that's how I feel." He whispered lightly into her ear causing her to pull back and grin up at him and kiss him feverishly.

__

Doyle parked his butt on the edge of his bed as he cracked into another beer drinking it down faster than he could taste it. He was confused, he wanted nothing more to make Andy happy, and her happiness came at his expense. He wouldn't be happy with her living so far away in New York, how could he make her happy, and himself happy, while doing his duty to his pack.