Ebb of the Night (Chapter 13)

13.

"Andy, I..." Doyle began only to be cut off by Andy.

"I know what your going to say, but sorry doesn't stop this pain that I'm feeling." She cried softly. Doyle glanced down at her then back up at the sky, the sun had set with out notice and now the stars were twinkling against the velvet dark night.

"Andy, I abjure you." He stated them dully as he turned and walked away. The ache he had been enduring for months was suddenly gone. Taking a deep breath as he climbed into the cab of his truck, it felt as if he had just taken his first breathe in months.

As he backed away from the dance studio for the last time he saw Andy sitting there watching his truck back away with a look of utter confusion written all over her face. Tears were no long falling, but bewilderment at what had just happened.

__

Walking through the familiar front door of his parents house, Doyle tossed his over shirt on the back of a chair in the living room and headed toward the voices in the kitchen. The kitchen was filled to the max with his family. Ashling, Keiran, Ali, and Rhys with their kids were sitting at the table chatting happily. Ashling immediately turned as he entered, rushing to his side she wrapped her arms around his waist.

"Are you okay?"

Doyle shrugged unable to bring a single feeling about Andy to mind. He could still picture her clearly in his mind, but he no longer held those same feelings. The tingling sensation he got by being near her or the thought of her was gone, instead of that gaping hole he felt he had in his heart was not there either. It was like someone simply erased every feeling he ever had for her.

"Come on, we're going to talk." Ashling demanded as she tugged him back out of the kitchen and out the front door. She stopped at the top step and took a seat hugging her knees to her chest. "You sure you're okay? I can't really read how you feel at this moment." She said as her brows were pulled in confusion.

"I'm fine, Ash. I don't really know how I'm supposed to feel. It's really hard to explain, but everything I felt once before I don't feel now. I can remember the feeling, and love I had for her, but I can't muster that feeling anymore. It's just not there anymore." He paused glancing over at her, "Does that make sense?"

Shrugging Ashling smirked, "When have you ever made sense to me? But I guess I can understand what your feeling now. The feeling is just gone now." Doyle nodded slightly as he glanced off at the wooded area.

"Well I think I'm going to go get changed and go to work. I need a good run." He gave her a wolfish grin, that made her cackle.

Running inside Doyle snagged a quick meal telling everyone that he was off to work and a good run, which earned him a prideful smile from Connor. But the fact was that Doyle wanted to get back into his previous routine before his life was turned upside down. He was now trusting his life in the fates hands. His true mate would come along and there will be no need for major adjustments or abjurement. In time she'd make her way into his life, surely sweeping him off his feet.

__

Before Doyle knew it the warm summer weather gave way to the crisp snap of the fall. Since Andy he had thrusted himself into school, even taking summer classes, determined to finish school quicker so he could set up his life, whether he had a mate to share it with or not. It was finally September and he found himself staying at Ashling's for a day or so before they all traveled to New York City for Zach and Layla's wedding. The air was cold in the morning as he started his morning running. The fog was slowly rising from the valley to make the surrounding mountains nearly impossible to see.