interview #20 @REPAIGE

1 what's a tip you'd pass to a newcomer?

I think the best tip I could offer would be to keep at it. I know that 'don't give up' sounds cliché, but it's true. You will only improve if you keep working on your writing, and you'll only succeed if you keep trying to write your stories, network with other writers, and value every fan you have – whether it's 3 or 300.

2 what's your daily writing routine like?

My daily writing routine is... not as organized as I would like it to be. Some days, I stare at my computer and can't write a single word; other days I don't stop until an entire new chapter is complete. However, my main routine is to make myself a cup of tea, try to clear my inbox so I don't have distractions, and use a program that limits what I can see on my screen in order to write.

3 how would you spend a rainy day?

Rainy days are typically spent sitting by the window. I have a little nook set up with pillows and blankets right under my bedroom window, and love to just nap there or watch the rain falling into the garden.

4 if you got a publishing deal, how would you celebrate?

At first, I would scream with delight. Then I would call my parents and excitedly let them know the good news. Beyond that, it would be a matter of alerting my core writing group, posting on Facebook, and the reward? Buying a whole cake. Yum!

5 what's your favorite author outside Wattpad?

That's a tough question, because I like various authors for entirely different reasons. If I have to pick just one, it would probably be Emily Rodda, because her "Deltora Quest" series inspired a lot of my style of 'chosen one' style stories.

6 what's your favorite snack?

My favorite snack... I'll tell you two. Healthy-wise, I love iced tea (especially if it has peach flavor). Unhealthy, I have a sweet tooth for these sour watermelon candies that various companies make.

7 what's your favorite movie?

My favorite movie is the children's/family film, 'The Swan Princess'. Even though I could probably point out every writing flaw and plot hole, it's so nostalgic for me to see. I adore the 'Love conquers all' story, and especially the music.

8 what's your dream vacation?

My dream vacation would probably take me to locations like New Zealand or Ireland. They have some of the most incredible views, and a lot of fey history (which inspire so many writers of 'fairy' stories today).

9 what's the best aspect of Wattpad?

I think the ability to network and connect directly with your fanbase (and like-minded writers) is the best aspect of Wattpad. If I get published or self-publish anywhere, I don't really get to interact with the people who enjoy my book. I love knowing what people like and dislike about my drafts on here, because it helps me tailor my story between what I want to say and what the readers want to read.

10 what's your favorite holiday and why?

My favorite common holiday is probably Christmas. Not because I want presents, or of delicious things like eggnog or cranberry flavored everything. It's because my family always made it an important occasion about spending time together, and it's one of the only times the whole direct family is able to gather in the same place at once to celebrate something.

11 do you have any other creative outlets?

My other creative outlets include crochet, sewing, musical and Shakespearean theater, voice acting, digital art / photo-manipulations, video game development, YouTube content creation, and let's play videos/streams... also Dungeons and Dragons because I'm a huge nerd.

Request time!

Out of my work, I highly recommend 'Ocean Born' draft. It is a contest winning book despite being incomplete. It is currently ongoing (albeit slowly) and I love the feedback everyone gives me. It's a fairytale retelling, and I think that makes it even more intriguing to see where I've steered it away from the original to make it my own story.

 It's a fairytale retelling, and I think that makes it even more intriguing to see where I've steered it away from the original to make it my own story