Ch 14: I Meet a Tyrant

I've determined I'm destined to go to hell. Arguably, I've led a pretty innocent life, but in solitary, you lose your mind a little. I've become so familiar with the blank white walls that anything else seems foreign.

The only positive thing about this cell? I don't have to deal with Kai. He's such a pervert!

I'm not sure how long I've been in the cell, but long enough to rethink everything about my short time in Korupteco. Luckily for me, my stay in solitary is coming to a close, but first, I have to meet with Ivory Heliot. 

When I first thought of the leader of the destroyed world, I didn't imagine her to be a tiny shriveled woman. I swear, she's got one leg in the grave! I hope she's got her coffin picked out...

"Ah, Miss Lockwood. I've been so eager to meet you!" she exclaims, standing up from a posh red chair. "It seems you've taken quite a liking to one of my soldiers, is that right?" 

My words get jumbled in my mouth. "Yes, it's true." 

"Care to tell me who?" she asks, taking a seat and crossing her legs. 

I take a moment to answer, remembering Ty, the one person I used to fully trust. "Tyler Hutson." 

With a snap of her fingers, Ty walks into the room. He doesn't make eye contact, even though he's the only thing worth looking at in this room. He stands by Heliot, stiff as a board.

"Is this your man?" she adds. I slowly nod my head. "What a shame, you would've been the cutest couple, had you not defied the system." 

"Defied the system?" I interject. 

"Oh, dear you must not have known," she coos, "you were trying to fight the Institute, am I right?" 

"Kai pulled me into it and--" I try to explain but she cuts me off. 

"No, honey. You tried to defy the system, the system of rebirth. Do not bring Kai into this, he's already in enough trouble. This whole process will go much easier if you cooperate, agreed?" she says in an authoritative tone. Again, I nod my head in reply. 

She takes a while before she says anything. "Hutson, take her to a cell. No funny business." 

He moves swiftly toward me and grabs my arm. I stand, him leading the way. "Hey," I whisper, "good to know you're okay." He doesn't reply. When we get to a cell, he shoves me in. I can't believe that he didn't even say anything to me, not even after disappearing for however long it was. 

I was expecting a note, something from him, some sort of affection, even a quiet word. But, I got nothing. I lay on the mattress, engulfing the diversity, after being locked in a blank room. My mind wanders to Kai. Heliot said something about him being in trouble. He probably tried to blow somebody up. 

I slowly close my eyes, craving the fresh air beyond the bars that contain me. I am so much more than the cells that hold my curiosity.