Ch 6: The Resistance Takes Us In

Kai and I laugh and talk the whole ride to the Kansas plains, often dodging the Institute's new drones. I momentarily forget that we are living in a destroyed world with a corrupt government, because it feels like I'm a stereotypical high school kid with a hot boyfriend.

"When are we going to get to the camp? I've got to pee!" I exclaim loudly. 

"Soon, I hope. I've been looking for signs of settlement," he says, surveying the flat land, "to no avail of course."

"What's that over there?" I ask him, pointing to a cabin-like building. 

"You've got a good eye, princess. That looks like our new home." He says, grinning. He takes the car over to the building and parks. 

We're greeted by shouting and guns. 

"Step out of the car!" a booming voice shouts. Kai and I both do what we're told. When we step out of the car, we're patted down. The guy takes my knife and feels my ass. What a pervert. 

"State your name and Institute issued ID," a woman says. 

I speak first. "Audrey Lockwood. 165216."

Kai replies quickly after. "Kai Royle. I don't obey the Institute." 

The woman smiles. "The boy passes. Take him inside. The girl however, you must die now. What a shame." 

"Wait!" Kai shouts, "She's with me, but she's a newbie. She hates the Institute, trust me. Keep her on close watch if you want to, but she's with me."

The lady weighs the options. "Fine, take the girl too, and search the car." 

We get into the cabin. It's no larger than 20 x 20 feet. The guide opens a hatch in the floor, leading us through a network of tunnels, all connecting to a central hub. Lanterns are lit throughout the corridors, so for the first time, I can clearly see where I'm going.

"Welcome to the Resistance," a man says, "I hope you enjoy your stay." 

  Kai and I glance at each other before we embrace each other in excitement. Kai grabs my hand and we make our way down the tunnels, exploring every nook and cranny of what could be the best time of our lives. 

The head of the Resistance finds us and assigns us a job and a room. Girls and boys aren't allowed to mix rooms, to we're in different bunks. I work in the kitchen, serving food to the thousands of people who seek refuge from the Institute. 

Kids of all ages, elderly and the young, are bustling around the secret headquarters of the resistance. Kai walks over to me. 

"Audrey, we need to talk."