Ch 5: The Day I Raided a Walgreens

I awoke the next morning with a pair of strong arms wrapped around my body. Kai is snoring loudly. I'm not sure what happened to sleeping in our own rooms, but I'm not complaining. I know that I should probably go and make something to eat for the both of us, but I can't help but enjoy the warmth that his body provides, so instead I lay helpless, engulfed in his muscular arms. 

His brown hair is covering his tan face, his chocolate eyes hidden by his delicate eyelids. He's sound asleep, his chest rising and falling at a steady pace. I close my eyes, only planning on waiting until Kai wakes up. As expected, I fell asleep. When I woke again, Kai was gone. I sat up groggily, looking around, craving his scent back in the bed. 

I manage to get on my feet and fumble around the house, trying to find him. 

"Hey princess, what are you doing up? You seemed pretty sound in bed," he smirks, "sure you don't want to go back?" His voice is raspy, and it makes me seriously attracted to him. 

"I need to find a hair brush." I say stupidly. 

He laughs. "That's all you had to say?" 

"I speak the truth!" I exclaim and shrug my shoulders. 

"Fine, go find one. I've got some delicious canned pineapple for breakfast!" he shouts sarcastically. 

I rush to the bathroom, searching for anything, a comb, hairbrush, I'd even take a fork! Eventually I found a comb. I didn't care about hair hygiene, because my hair was nasty! I rip the comb through my hair. Chunks of wavy blonde hair appear in the teeth. I find a package of new toothbrushes, and I look around for toothpaste. I'm interrupted by a knock on the bathroom door. "Yeah?" I ask. 

"You okay in there, Audrey? You've taken a while..." Kai asks. 

"Don't you remember girls taking a while in the bathroom?" I ask sarcastically. 

"Yeah, but I'm worried about you princess. I mean, we are living in an abandoned house. I mean damn, there could be zombies in there!" He chuckles. 

"I look like a zombie, so you could consider me one!" I shout through the door. I dig around the drawers, trying to find any makeup to make me look less dead. The owner of this house must have never worn makeup, because all I can find is a tube of mascara. I hastily put it on, and shove it into my backpack. I also look around for feminine items, just because the world fell apart doesn't mean Lucifer doesn't provide me a waterfall every month!

I open the door. Kai can't keep his eyes off of me. 

"Damn, princess, you sure clean up nice," he compliments, "I don't judge you for taking so long."

"Wait, I forgot a few things!" I rush back into the bathroom, grabbing male and female deodorant, and the toothbrushes. I hand Kai his deodorant and a new toothbrush. "Next time we raid a house, I need sufficient makeup and some motherfucking toothpaste!"

"Don't worry, we'll get you some fucking toothpaste. In the meantime, we need to get moving. We're late."

"I didn't know we had a time frame," I tease, "why do we now?" 

"I guess the Institute does rounds every morning. We've only got 15 minutes to get out of range. Lucky for us, there's nobody on the road!" he says, grinning. He shoves all our belongings in the car, and speeds down the empty street. At one point, I look at the speedometer, and we're going 85 mph. 

"Wait!" I squeal. He slams his foot on the break. 

"What, princess? You scared me!" he asks, breathing heavily.

"I saw a Walgreens! I can get my toothpaste!" I reply excitedly, and hop out of the car with my knife in hand. I use my backpack to break the glass. 10 minutes later I come out with painkillers, band-aids, makeup, perfume, snacks, a book, soda, ice cream, disposable cups, 3 boxes of toothpaste, and 10 plastic bags. 

He starts the car slowly. "Why are you moving so slow?" I complain. 

"To make sure you didn't forget anything. We're not stopping for another 3 hours. And if you have to pee, I hope you have a bottle," he laughs, "we're headed to the camp now. And I'm impressed that you managed to get out with so much stuff in so little time!"