Ch 1: How the World Fell Apart

A white light is the only thing illuminating the small space that I'm trapped in. It resembles an elevator, but is almost too small to be one. Regardless, I gather all the strength I can, and attempt to punch out the emergency hatch located at the top of the space. It takes a few tries to bust open the door, and I climb to the top. Indeed, it was an elevator, and I'm now trapped in the shaft. After about 20 minutes, I fling myself onto the floor above me.

After catching my breath, I survey my surroundings. This building seems to be some sort of hotel. I knock on doors frantically, looking for someone to tell me what is going on. I give up, so I try the stairs. The door is locked, but the handle is frail, so I break it, and continue my journey down the spiraling staircase. I end up in the lobby, which is deserted. Desperate, I go outside, expecting to see people. The sun shines bright, forcing my eyes to adjust. Just like the hotel, the streets are abandoned. Quietly, I look into the shops that are around the hotel. Some have shattered windows, and most have been robbed. It's hours before I find a shop that has any supplies left. I grab a rock that is lying in the street and launch it through the window. It shatters, but to my surprise, no alarms are going off. Careful to not cut myself, I go through the gaping hole in the window.

Inside the shop is dark, and clothes are hanging on racks. I find a backpack, and start filling it with necessities. A new pair of jeans, a few t-shirts, and a couple bottles of water that were for purchase sitting at the counter. I carefully pry open the money drawer from the register. I take the twenties. I don't know if I'll use them, but I'd best be prepared.

As I'm leaving the shop, I see a boy, maybe fifteen years old. He's approaching me, clothes in tatters, and blood gushing from his lip. I study him as he walks my way.

"Who are you?" I ask him without thinking.

"I should be asking you the same question," he says rudely.

"You're the one who's walking around here. Speaking of which, where is everyone?" I ask him, in hopes he knows what's going on.

"Typical newbies, the world's fallen apart. Can't you tell?" He scoffs.

"Newbie? What do you mean?" I ask, confused.

"You're new to this thing. The world has come down. Come with me. I'm trying to find food, but most everything in the city is cleaned out," he instructs.

We walk down the deserted streets, with only the sound of our footsteps to break the silence. The boy stops.

"What?" I ask.

"Shh! It's the Institute!" he whispers, turning around slowly, "We need to get into that alley. It'll be harder to spot us over there."

We wait about 20 minutes, but it feels like hours. I resort to playing with my hair, which is the color of honey. The boy starts to move out of the alley, searching for the guys from 'the Institute'.

"If you don't mind me asking, who are you?" I ask him again, curious to know his name.

"Kai, and yours?"

"Audrey, Audrey Lockwood," I reply, "care to explain how the world fell apart?"

"Sure thing, Audrey Lockwood. Basically, a revolution started. First they knocked out the power, then the roads, and the rebels made their way to the Institute. After all the rebels were killed, the Institute established the era to rebuild, which is where we are now. And by kicking that off, they bombed every major city, hence why all the buildings are torn down around here. They killed millions of people," he paused, "we should start moving and set up camp, it's getting dark. I'll explain more on the way."

He turned and started to walk toward a cluster of damaged office buildings.

"How long have I been out?" I asked him.

"I have no idea. I'd guess a couple of months. Anyways, too many people lost their lives. Since then, more have been killed by natural causes, or by starvation. There are tons of groups trying to survive the 'Rebirth of the world' as they call it, but nobody believes their lies," he explains, "they've burned books, cities, historical sites, anything that had to do with the old age."

"Cool story, but how was I out for months?" I ask, the story not adding up.

"My guess is that you were in a coma. Most people were before they figured out the world fell apart." Kai answered.

(A/N): 12.5.15 - After editing again, I decided to scrap the whole first chapter and write it again. This is the result.