what we were

Mascara streaks down his cheeks. He turns on the faucet, hands trembling as he washes it all down the drain.

"Zayn," I say softly, arm hooking around his waist, pulling him into my side.

"I just want to go to sleep," he mumbles. "Leave me alone."

"Babe," I try it again gentler, fingers carding through his fluffy quiff. "I'm not letting you go to bed hurt. Who cares what she says? Since when does she matter? Hmm?"

His tears dissolve under the warmth of my lips but he isn't done, silent sobs shaking his body.

"Why don't you just quit?"

"It empowers me. I love what I do it's just that...she's always hated me and I don't understand why."

"She's just jealous, you can't let it get to you. Don't give her that satisfaction."

"Do I turn you on more when I'm Veronica? Just be honest with me."

"You're joking Zayn. Are you so insecure because she's constantly beating you down? Claire is average at best."

He's doing it again and I'm shattering, taking his hand in mine.

"Do you want kids Harry? Do you want a real woman?"

I'm breaking, tears flowing from my eyes as I scoop down to kiss him. He sighs into my mouth, body relaxing and I want him to know that we'll make things work. No matter what.

We kiss our heartache away because I don't have a better answer to his question.

He lays his head in my lap, closes his eyes as I stroke his cheek.

"I didn't mean to make you cry," he whispers.

"It's my job to protect your heart. I feel like I've failed you."

"You haven't, I'm just a crybaby."

He rolls over, whimpers as he buries his face in the pillow.

"Let's not forget that you got me off with the diligence of your fingers. That's skill," I chuckle.

I hear a soft giggle and my heart trills. He turns onto his back, eyes warm like honey as he bites back a smile.

"What," I tease, nudging his side.

"You didn't think I had it in me, did you?"

I'm leaning in, letting him gently cup my face in my hands. This is everything I've ever wanted and more. I'm gasping as I find myself pinned beneath his weight. There are embers sparking in his eyes as his hands roam my torso.

"Should have never doubted you," I exhale.

His lips brush against mine, tongue forcing entrance. My heart is skidding around inside my ribcage as he presses his lips to my collarbone.

It's frantic. Lovebites on my neck, fingers tugging at my hair, lips trailing from my stomach down to my navel. Obscenely wet kisses and warm, tight skin. I can't stop grabbing at him, exploring every sliver of tan skin with my fingertips.

The kisses stop and I'm actually hurt, looking up at him expectantly.

"No touching, just relax."

His fingers ruffle my hair, sending little tingles through my scalp. Shivers are running down my spine, pulse quick in my neck.

He can feel it under his lips as he kisses back over the marks he left on my neck, teeth gently tugging at my earlobe.

"Close your eyes," he whispers.

I obey curiously, butterflies in my stomach. He blows cool air on my chest and my nipples grow hard. My stomach tightens as he ignores them, leaving kisses on my inner thighs.

The mystery of not knowing where his hands are going or where he'll kiss me next turns me on so much I'm balling up the sheets, cheeks growing warm. Sweat breaks out across my forehead, anticipation building inside of me.

A few more sloppy kisses, a tap on the knee and I'm bending my legs for him.

His fingers stroke the patch of skin behind my knees and I'm certain no one has ever touched me there. I don't know why, it feels incredible.

He's kissing behind my ear, nose tickling the nape of my neck and I forget how to breathe.

"Zayn," I breathe out softly, not even realizing what I'm doing as I reach for his hand.

Our thing.

I can't keep my eyes closed any longer, it feels like torture. I have to see his face.

"Your peeking," he teases.

"But do you know how beautiful you are?"

Soft pink lips and golden eyes. He's carved cheekbones and long lashes.

There's a hint of a blush on his face but he regains composure quickly.

"What do you need?"

"Just kiss me again."

We're both spent when he pulls away. He pants softly, hands placed above me on the headboard.

"This is the best view," he smirks.

"Now you see why I top."

I'm pulling him down onto me to caress his skin, feel his heartbeat pressed against my chest.

He's messy hair and wide eyes as he moves beside me, our fingers entwined.

I'm staring at the ceiling and so is he, comfortable silence stretching between us.

"What are we," he asks quietly.

"In love."

His laughter is muffled against my side and I start laughing, loving how silly we are.

"Is that funny to you mister?"

His toes tickle mine at the foot of the bed and then our limbs get tangled.

"Do you want to stay in London Harry? I mean...you have a nice place and a really stable income but are you happy here?"

"My happy place is you."

It grows quiet again and I chuckle, eyes flicking over to Zayn. He has already drifted off. I tuck him in my arms, heart sighing.

When he's with me I know he's safe. I'd go anywhere with him, wherever his heart desires.

He deserves so much more than he'll ever know. Nothing is going to stop us from being together.

I ruffle his hair and leave a feathery light kiss on his forehead.

"Goodnight Zayn."

It's hard for me to fall asleep. I'm too excited, thinking about all of the adventures I want to take him on.

We have a beautiful future ahead of us and if anyone tries to get in my way they'll wish they had never met me.