Part 9.

I couldn't tell them what the police thought. I couldn't tell anyone.

I loved my brother. Until Toni he was the only person who ever loved me. Protected me. Hell, he even came and visited me on the Southside every week. Protected me. Hell, he even came and visited me on the Southside, though I had reason to suspect he wasn't visiting just for me.

Despite the Serpents reputation, it was actually the Ghoulies leading the drug and crime trade in Riverdale. Since Jason's death and the steadily decreasing reputation of the Southside, many Serpents had defected over to join the Ghoulies. This had to be seen as betrayal of the highest degree. No Serpent Stands Alone is one of our fundamental laws, and leaving to join the rival gang is the harshest form of abandonment there is.

At school the next day, things started to get weird. Toni, Jughead, Fangs and I were back to wearing our Serpent jackets at school and gave up on covering our tattoos.

Veronica was quick to greet me and Toni as we arrived that morning, dragging us to a table with all of her newfound friends.

"Cheryl this is Archie,Kevin,Betty and Josie" Veronica introduced, gesturing around the table as she went.

"Hi" I managed to say with false confidence seeping off of every word, "I'm Cheryl and this is Toni"

I couldn't help but feel jealous at the way that Toni and Josie were looking at each other. I knew we had never talked about being exclusive, but we'd been together almost a year. It went without saying right?

"So Cheryl, Toni; tell us a bit about yourselves" the orange haired boy asked. For a second I was taken aback. His voice, his hair. So similar to Jason's. He must have known him, being on the football team and all.

"I was head cheerleader at Southside High, and I had the highest GPA. I joined the Serpents two years ago after I'd just turned 14 and They've been my family ever since." I stated as casually as possible.

"You were a cheerleader?" Kevin asked, "You have to join the  River Vixens! Try-Outs just ended but I'm sure Betty can make an exception, right?"

"oh...uh...yeah, sure! How about tomorrow after school?" Betty offered, I could tell she was awkward about us spending time together. Her sister was the reason Jason wanted to leave Riverdale, now he's gone and she's probably living it up in their fancy suburban house. The Cooper Family were the very definition of the "American Dream"

"Can I try out too?" Veronica asked

"Yeah Sure!"

"Awesome, well party at my place after, I have a friend coming down from New York and I'd love for you guys to meet him!" Veronica offered.

"Sounds awesome" Betty affirmed.

Toni and I shared a glance, both looking to see how the other felt about the people we were around, the plans being made, everything.

"You want to go, don't you?" Toni asked as we were walked towards our first period.

"I think we need to assimilate. And Boy-Next-Door Jason Lookalike may help."

"Well lets hope my little Fascist Barbie doesn't fall for him" she joked, nudging me with her arm.

"Is it bad that I kinda like that nickname?" I asked as I left to first period History.

////

A//N: Thank you so much for 300 reads and for all of the favorites and comments! Please feel free to message me about story ideas or anything really, thank you! xxx