Part 20.

As Toni and I returned to our trailer to pack our things, my anxiety began to build.

"You okay babe?" Toni asked sweetly as she grabbed a duffel bag from under our bed and began to stuff some flannels inside.

"Yeah... Actually, sit down... I need to tell you something."

Toni sat down on the bed, clothes in hand.

"A little while ago, right after we first got called into the principal's office and told about Sweet Pea... he called me."

"Babe," Toni said gently, "they told us Sweet Pea died..."

"I know, but he phoned me in the middle of the night a couple of days later. Apparently, FP and Tall Boy set him up in San Junipero. Toni... he told me not to trust anyone" I sat down beside her holding her hand.

"So that's why you've been so distant lately, you've been dealing with all of this on your own?"

I nodded as tears started to stream down my face.

"It's okay baby, we'll figure this out together."

"It has to be somebody we know," I said, standing up again, "And I think it's one of the Riverdale kids."

///////////////////////

With our duffel bags strapped to our backs, containing almost everything we owned, Toni, Jughead and I rode up to the Cooper Residence and parked our bikes right outside.

The police surveillance seemed to tense up as we arrived, eyeing our bikes and jackets, but as we dismounted and took off our helmets, they eased up.

The Cooper's residence, which once had a large and ornate dining table separating the kitchen from the living room, now housed 4 neatly made mattresses on the floor.

"I hope this is alright, it's the best I could do at short notice," Betty said, fiddling with the sleeves of her jumper.

"Beats the dump I grew up in," Jug said, dropping his bag and claiming a bed

Betty hesitates for a moment and clenches her fist before shaking herself free of it.

"The Kitchen is just through there, the bathroom is right by the front door and there's another one upstairs. If you need anything, just let me know."

Toni and I tossed our bags down claiming two of the mattresses that had been pushed together.

"Thanks for hosting us, Betts," Jughead said and gave the blonde a warm smile.

///////////////////////////

I woke up to a phone ringing in the kitchen. As I was about to get up to answer it, Betty appeared in the kitchen taking the phone off the hook.

"I thought I told you not to call here?" she said bitterly

There was a pause before she replied again

"I'm sorry, It's just that they're all here. Anyone of them could have woken up and then they would have heard you."

There was silence for a while as Betty listened intently to the voice on the other end, before putting down the phone and disappearing from the room.