Chapter 15: My Question Is What's Your Question?

We sat there watching Nathan and Ashlee poke each other. It was like a tennis match. Your head going back and forth. Back and forth. Back and forth. I swear, my head was gonna fall off or something. I found it to be a pretty intense atmosphere with Nathan and Ashlee having their “Poke You to the Death” match. I was kinda hoping it’d be like in the movies, where they yell that they hate each other then kiss and realize that they’re made for each other. But obviously, that’s not going to happen. Cause Ashlee is complicated. Don’t ask me how, she just is.

When frankly, I found my situation with my “relationship” complicated. Guess we’ll have to figure it out, huh? Tell me, what does that mean?! Cause I sure as hell don’t have a clue. I would assume it means he wants me to be his girlfriends, but you’re never too sure. Cause, well, guys are complicated. Even if they are curly haired, blue eyed geeks that melt your heart and know how to sing. That, that right there, is like icing on the cake. But someone has to come and stomp on my imaginary cake. Bridget had to ruin my cake! She may haven't yet, but I know she will. Even though it’s a figurative cake, I still want it. I want my Jay cake. Okay, that sounds weird, but I do. I want the Jay cake!

“What are you thinking about?” Jay’s voice snapped me out of my trance. My train of thought, leaving my station of a brain.

“What?”

“You. You seemed to be thinking about something.” He chuckled. I shook my head, looking at him. He didn’t seemed to be convinced. “Need to talk about something?”

“No. I’m fine.”

His eyes searched over my face, looking for a sign. “Tanya, can I ask you something?” I turned and watched Nathan poke Ashlee.

“Yeah, anything.” I said. It was quiet for a minute, as if he was looking for the right words. I looked in the corner of my eye as he ran a hand through his curls.

“Would you want to be my-” He started as the door flew open, and the sounds of my mother calling my name echoed through the house.

“Tanya! Thomas! Ashlee! Help with the decorations, grab Jeff’s suit, and your bride maid dresses!”

“I don’t think you needed to say my name in that sentence.” Tom said.

“Maybe my mom thought you looked cute in a dress when we were little that she wanted you be cute at her wedding.” I laughed.

Tom shot me a look. “Maybe she thought you looked cute in a dress- SHUT UP.” He mocked.

“Cool it Parker. It’s a joke.” I grinned. The other boys laughed. He rolled his eyes, and walked into the kitchen. I gave Jay a smile, and followed Tom, grabbing Ashlee by the arm on my way past her. She pulled back at first when I laughed at her.

“What?” She snapped.

“Do you want to stay here with him?” I asked, looking at Nathan, who looked at Ashlee, then away, sitting on the couch. Ashlee looked at him, and shook her head. “That’s what I thought.” I said, pulling her the rest of the way to the kitchen.

“Here.” Tom grunted, throwing us two garment bags, which I assumed had our dresses, like they were on fire. 

I laughed at him. “Don’t like dresses Tommy?” I ruffled his hair and he pushed me away, poking his tongue out.

“Don’t like dresses Tommy.” He said in a high pitched voice. I rolled my eyes at him.

“How did she know our sizes?” Ashlee asked. I shrugged.

“She’s a mother. Mothers know everything.” I whispered to her.

“We do. Like how you kissed the curly one.” My mom said walking in again with a card board box.