Chapter 16: Stupid And Idiotic.

“It’s right here.” I said, waving the paper in front of my face. “You’re getting old woman.” That got me a sarcastic laugh from my mother.

“At least I have some sort of relationship with the male gender.” My mom said casually, grabbing the paper.

“Low blow Mom. Low blow.”

“It’s true. You’re not dating, but you like each other. I don’t see why you just say ‘hey, wanna be my boyfriend?’”

“It’s not the easiest thing in the world to do Mum.” I sighed.

She looked at me, giving me a motherly look. One that said ‘I know you’ll do the right thing’ mixed with ‘Stop being a chicken and ask him’. “Yes it is. You go up to him, and say-”

“Yeah, I know. ‘Hey, wanna be my boyfriend?’ But this isn’t the olden days. Everything’s more complicated.”

“You sound like you’re twelve Tanya. Just ask the boy!” 

“You ask the boy!”

“I will.” She snapped, heading towards the living room. I stood there dumbstruck for a second, when I ran over to my mom. Holding my ground in her path.

“No.” I said quickly, shaking my head.

“Yes.” 

“No!” 

“Tanya.” She said warningly. 

“Grace.” I matched her tone.

“Tanya, I’m your mother. Don’t use that tone with me or my name like that. I will throw you back to London.” She snapped sternly. 

“I’m sorry. I just- I don’t want you to ask him. Okay?”

She gave me a look, then nodded, walking to the stairs. “If you don’t, I will.” She said over her shoulder, pointing a finger at me. I gave a big sigh of relief.

“Maybe I should ask him.” I turned shaking my head.

“I don’t think so Ash. If you do that, then I will ask Nathan out.”

She rolled her eyes. “I don’t like him.”

“Yeah, and Tom hasn’t worn a dress before.” I laughed.

“I don’t!” She stomped her foot.

“You look like Bridget.” Ashlee stuck her tongue out at me, as her eyes flashed to something behind me.

“Speak of the bitch.” She scoffed. I turned and Bridget pushed open the door with shopping bags in her hands. I’m surprised she didn’t break a nail. Ashlee and I looked at each other, then back at her, as she stumbled through the door.

“Stupid bags.” She groaned to herself. She dropped them onto the floor, and fixed her outfit. She caught our stares. “What?” She snapped bitterly.

“Nothing.” I replied.

“Then quit your staring, freak.”

“Oh no, she called you a freak Tanya. Run away.” Ashlee said sarcastically putting her hands up in mock fear. I smirked and Bridget put a hand on her hip, quirking an eyebrow.

“Funny.”

“I think I’m funny.” Ashlee nodded. I nodded along with her. 

“Whatever. Is the boy band still here?” She asked fixing her blonde hair, then examining her nails. Ashlee and me exchanged looks.

“Nope, sorry, they died.” Ashlee snapped her fingers. “Shucks.” I let out a laugh, and Bridget gave us the daggers.

“I wish you would die.” Bridget said, rolling her eyes.