Chapter 5:

I had befriended the sister of my crush in the best way possible. Well... there are better ways, but this was good.

I looked at the girl now, studying the similarities and differences between her and Luke. She had light brown hair, almost gold, a shade away from the color of Luke's hair. She had green eyes, yet a warm smile like Luke's.

"I'm Miranda," I said, holding out my hand for a shake.

"I'm Maria, Maria Jacobs." She took my hand and shook it. "I'm sure you now know by now that I'm Luke's sister." She smiled.

"I know, but you guys almost look NOTHING alike!" I said. A small silence settled. Realizing Carmen was with me, I introduced her. "Maria, this is Carmen Martinez," I said, bringing Carmen out. They shook hands.

"Nice to meet you," Carmen replied. The bell rang. "That's the bell, better get going,"

"Well, it was nice to meet you!" Maria said as she walked to her class.

"Dang," Carmen said once Maria was out of earshot. "How is SHE related to Luke?"

"What do you mean?" I asked. "Is there something wrong with her?"

"No," she answered there's NOTHING wrong with her, and THAT'S why I don't believe that she's related to Luke!"

"So you're saying something's wrong with Luke?" I asked.

"Not necessarily, though I don't see how you like him."

"That's because you don't like any boys," I pointed out. "You're just 'too busy' and 'young and carefree' to be with any!"

"I just don't have the time to be with guys." Carmen said.

"You don't have the patience either!" I laughed. We walked in silence for a moment. "She seems nice," I said to Carmen.

"Who?" She asked confused.

"Who else?" I said annoyed. "Maria!"

"You're just saying that," she said. "Because she's your crush's sister."

"Would you shut up?" I said annoyed, yet in a playful way.

"All right, all right," she said, defeated.

At lunch, we sat with Maria. We talked and got to know each other better, but I couldn't stop comparing her to Luke. Comparing her to ME. I thought about the kind of girls Luke might like. Maria was beautiful, and Luke loved her. OF COURSE HE DOES, I thought. SHE'S HIS SISTER.

Compared to me, Maria was a QUEEN. Maria had golden hair and green eyes, while I had brown hair and brown eyes.

"How plain and uninteresting can I be?" I said aloud.

Maria and Carmen looked at me. "What do you mean?" Carmen said.

"I mean, just LOOK at me! I'm so plain." I said miserably.

"You're not plain." Maria said reassuringly.

"Come on," I said, rolling my eyes. I then stood up and gestured to myself. "Brown hair and brown eyes!? I am SO plain!" I sat down. "How many girls do you see with brown hair and brown eyes? Look around!"

Maria and Carmen obeyed, looking around. "She's got a point." Carmen said looking at Maria.

"But maybe fitting in is what a guy wants-" Maria began.