Chapter 10:

Wednesday came and I had to collect myself. I couldn't keep moping about it. I had to focus on school, focus on the play.

We made a small run through scene 3 before rehearsing scene 4.

"Okay people," Clarissa said. "We have three scenes left, not including scene 4. I think scene 3 was good ENOUGH the past two days, so we should work on scene 4." She looked at me. "Scene 4 is a very short scene, but it's very important you act and sound like you're happy!" She gave me a small, fake smile. Man I hate her...

"I know it's been hard for you these past days, so I'm going to ask you a big favor..." She continued, then viciously pulled me away from Luke and Carmen and took me to a corner.

"Listen, Miranda," she whispered threateningly. "Luke already asked ME to Prom. If you think this play is going to change his mind about me you're WRONG! He won't love you, he'll NEVER love a girl like you! If you want your perfect grade I suggest you go along with the play and keep those thoughts out of your mind!"

I looked at her, too stunned for words. She was threatening me! THREATENING me!

I looked at my script. Even though we tried to go through scene 4 already, it was like a brand new scene to me, one I didn't know all the details about. Scene 4 was the scene where Michael asks Loraine to Prom. I'm Loraine and Luke's Michael, and it would seem like he's asking me to Prom, but he's already asked Clarissa.

She's torturing me, I thought. That's the whole point of this stupid play! She KNEW Luke was going to ask her to Prom so she made a play that would fool me into thinking Luke liked me! I'd have to kiss him in the last scene, scene 7. She wanted me to fall DEEPER into liking Luke so I'd never forget that he chose Clarissa instead of me! She's KILLING me!

I pulled away from Clarissa and went back with the others. I just couldn't LISTEN to her anymore! This was MY life, so why did she have to RUIN It!?

I got back and stood next to Carmen. I could feel Luke's eyes on me, but I couldn't bring myself to look at him. If I did, I'd never forgive myself. Carmen looked at me with worry.

"Hey," she said. "What happened? What did Clarissa want to talk to you about?" I looked at her and glared at her.

"Nothing," I said angrily. Carmen knew not to ask me anymore.

We got in our positions to rehearse and I had to be next to Luke. Oh great, I thought. Way to kill my soul more. Still, I could feel Luke eyeing me and watching me and my every move. I tried to ignore the acknowledgement of him and focused on the script.

Carmen was not a part of this scene, so she sat down and watched me nervously. There was a PROM sign hanging about five feet away from Luke and me. I looked at it and looked down.

Did I HAVE to do this scene, half of my mind asked.

Yes, the second half said. Do you WANT a good grade?

I don't if I have to be tortured through this scene, Half #1 replied.

Hey, Half #2 said. At least you're not doing scene 7!

Don't remind me, Half #1 grumbled.

I always come across times when two sides of my mind argue about something. It gave me a headache after. I couldn't help but agree with Half #1.

"Okay, start rehearsing... now," Clarissa said. She sat back in her 'Director's Chair', watching me with excitement, a smile on her face. Bitch.

Luke, or 'Michael' looked up at the Prom sign, following the script I couldn't look up from it. I didn't want to look at Luke during this scene. Sadly, I had to. In the script, I'm also looking up at the Prom sign.

Just as long as I don't have to look at Luke, I thought.

"Hey," Luke said nervously. Was he just as uncertain a bout doing this scene as I was.

"Hey," he repeated. "Uh... America."

Following the script, I made myself look sad and lonely, watching the prom sign longingly. Wasn't TOO hard.

I sighed. "Yes," I said, my voice shaking. "Yes Michael?"

"I wanted to know," 'Michael' said. He looked at Clarissa, possibly afraid this scene might make Clarissa think he's actually going to ask me.

"I wanted to know," he said again. Quit repeating! "If you..."

"If I what, Michael?" I said, anger suddenly rising in my voice. I was supposed to be saying it like I was curious, not ready to strangle him!

"If you'd..." He said. Now he was uncertain about what he was saying. He sighed. "If you'd like to go to go to... Prom with me?"

Next I had to look away from the Prom sign and smile at Luke. Then I'd have to say, "of course I would!" and then I'd have to put my arms around his neck to hug him. I was about to go along with the script, but when I took my eyes off the Prom sign, I couldn't do it.

"No," I whispered.

"What," Luke whispered back, confused. "What did you say?"

"No," I repeated, louder this time. I shook my head. "No."

"Miranda," Clarissa said. "That's not your line!" Though she was angry that I got off the script, she was sitting back in her "Director's" seat watching me, pleased with what she heard me say.

"No..." I said, still shaking my head. I began to step back.

"Miranda," Carmen said. "What's wrong?"

"No," I said, shaking my head violently. "NO!" I ran from the room, running into the hallway and turning the corner. I sat down. "No, no, NO, NO!!!" I sobbed and repeated "no" over and over until my voice hurt from it. "No..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm not coming in often am I? Oh well... More time for you to read! Hey Wattpad people, how's my book so far? No time to respond? Go ahead, go to the next chapter! I see this book unfolding....so good! Make sure to keep reading, and vote, comment and share!