Chapter 6:

At lunch, Carmen went straight to Maria.

"Maria!" She said. "We have something to tell you!"

"Why? What happened? TELL ME!" Maria said eagerly.

"It's not THAT big a deal..." I whispered.

"Oh come on, you know it means the world to you!" Carmen said. The she turned to Maria. "Okay, so in drama..."

I walked away. I didn't want to hear how Carmen would exaggerate this small action. Sure Luke wrote down on a white board that I was beautiful. But big deal. What was all the fuss about?

I sat down and sighed deeply. Could this be a hint of his true feelings? Or was he just teasing me, giving me a false sense of hope? What of Clarissa had so wing to do with this, making me feel like I might have a chance then one day crush me completely? I sat there, my thoughts clouding my mind until I couldn't hear anything.

"Miranda..." I heard someone whisper. Could it be Luke? I drifted toward the sound of my name. "Miranda? Miranda!? Miranda!" Carmen said, snapping me back to reality.

"Huh?" I said. Oh, it's just Carmen.

"You drift off quickly," she said.

"I can't believe this!" Maria squealed. "This could be that BIG hint you've been waiting for!"

"Why are you guys so INTO this? What's so great about it?" I asked.

"Aren't you happy? Excited? Surprised? Anything!?" Maria said, concerned. "What's wrong? Why aren't you...?"

I drifted off again, not wanting to listen to them.

"Maybe it is a big hint, I don't know." I said, to no one in particular. "I just don't want to get so hopeful and then realize he doesn't like me." I had no hope.

I couldn't tell if they were arguing with me. I looked off into the distance, letting my thoughts cloud my mind once again. Carmen came over and snapped her fingers. I snapped back into reality, and I realized I had been staring into the direction of Clarissa the whole time.

After lunch we had history. Our teacher, Ms. Smith was the WORST teacher EVER. Her name may sound nice, but in reality, she is pure EVIL. Her accent keeps us from understanding her, and she doesn't even RESPECT history. She's pretty old to be teaching here, I'm surprised she isn't retired. Luckily, she sat Carmen and me in the same table, so we suffer together.

"Ugh," she sighed, laying her head in her hands. "History AGAIN, I wish I could transfer classes." A moment of silence. "Why didn't I think of that in the BEGINNING of the year!?"

At this time she was pretending to cry. "It's okay Carmen," I said. "At least we suffered together, right?"

"You're only saying that because Ms. Smith actually LIKES you!" She said.

For some reason, Ms. Smith didn't like Carmen. Though she gets good grades and keeps her perfect grades and GPA, Ms. Smith always gave her rude comments, such as "talks too much in class" or "doesn't pay attention to lessons". I always tell her it's only because Ms. Smith is jealous of her.

"I hate her," Carmen muttered beside me. Ms. Smith was just explaining her lesson, her back on us. I turned to look around and some students were passing a note. It went from one table to another. Luke's table was next to mine, and he dropped it on my desk. I looked at him.

"Who's it from?" I whispered, AFRAID it was from him but at the same time overjoyed if it was.

He shrugged. "Just open it."

Nervously, I unfolded the note and read:

I HAVE SOMETHING TO TELL YOU. MEET AFTER CLASS!

-Alyssa

Alyssa is a classmate of mine. Usually, if I didn't get paired with Carmen, I was paired with her. We're close friends, and even though we don't hang out together during lunch or break, we get along well.

Her table was in the corner of the room. I turned my head slowly and mouthed, "What's wrong? What do you have to tell me?"

She mouthed back, "It's about Prom..." Ms. Smith was turning around and focusing her attention on us. "Later!" She reassured me.

"Okay," I mouthed, afraid of what she would tell me. I turned back around when Ms. Smith was staring at me.

"Ms. Ross, it seems you weren't paying attention to my lesson," she said sternly. Obviously I wasn't paying attention. "Is there something you'd like to share with the rest if the class?"

"No Ms. Smith," I said quietly, looking down.

She looked at me as if to say, 'That's what I thought.' She continued her lesson, and I was afraid of what the note had to do with Prom.

After class, I waited outside the door for Alyssa. She came out and smiled.

"Hey Miranda," she said.

"Hi Alyssa," I said in return. "So what was it you wanted to talk to me about?"

Her smile disappeared and was replaced with a frown. "Well, you like Luke right?"

"Yeah," I said. "Wait, who told you that!?"

"Carmen," she answered, as if it was obvious. As ling as she only told Alyssa... "Anyway, word is he's going to ask out Clarissa to Prom."

My heart sank. Clarissa? Luke was going to ask out CLARISSA to prom!? After all she's done to ME? To Maria!?

"But that doesn't make sense," I said sadly. "I mean, she bullied Maria!"

"I know, but I guess he found it as a misunderstanding," she said. How does anyone find THAT a misunderstanding? Why did he have to be so understanding? Damn his character!

"Sorry Miranda. I didn't want to have to tell you this, but I think it's best you at least get a warning," Alyssa said. She looked at me sympathetically, then left the hallway.

How could this happen? Luke was going to ask out Clarissa to prom! What am I going to do?