Chapter 8:

I was more than relieved when class was over. I did NOT want to be in there any longer.

The rest of the day was just as bad. Ms. Smith gave us an assignment to do over the weekend. We had to write an essay about someone we love, and how we would do anything to make them happy.

WAY TO RUB IT IN MS. SMITH, I thought.

When I got home and flopped on my bed, letting out a long sigh. I tried to focus on my assignment but I couldn't concentrate. My mind was flooded with thoughts of Luke and Clarissa and Prom. I got a headaches just thinking about them and I decided it was useless and I pulled out my phone.

I heard the small ring that alerted me of a new text message. It was Carmen.

CARMEN: Are you alright? Can I do anything to ease your pain?

I decided to text her back and this was our conversation:

ME: You mean the pain that you feel is stupid?

CARMEN: Yeah, that pain.

CARMEN: Kidding! You seem pretty down.

ME: Pretty down? I'm so confused about what Luke feels for me and if we are ever going to be more than friends and I can't believe he would ask Clarissa to Prom after what she's done!

CARMEN: I'm telling you, something is wrong with him.

ME: I don't know but I've got a HUGE headache just thinking about that and now we have an assignment from Ms. Smith and I can't concentrate. Can you come over? I need someone to help me get rid of my thoughts.

CARMEN: Sure thing. I'll be over there in fifteen minutes.

Time passed and Carmen had arrived. I walked to the door and opened it.

"Hey Miranda," She said smiling. "Long time no see?"

"Hey," I replied, walking her to my room.

I sat back down on my bed.

"So why else did you want me to come," she asked.

"I'm just so bored and tired and I need help with this project," I said. "Besides you're always the person to talk to when things are rough.

"Have you ever thoughts that's maybe because I'm the ONLY person to talk to?" Carmen laughed. "You could've invited Maria over instead."

"Yeah," I agreed. "But we barely met her and she reminds me of Luke and I just, don't know..."

Carmen nodded. Even when she hasn't experienced something like what you're going through, Carmen understands.

We talked about how Ms. Smith so badly bothers us and how relieved we'll be next year. We laughed and we ordered pizza. Never did I agree so much with "TGIF".

It was only 6:42 and we were about to start our assignment when I received a text. I got my phone and checked the message. It was an unknown number so I checked it with Carmen.

"Hey Carmen," I said. "Do you know this number? Is it Maria's?"

I showed her the number and message. She nodded.

"Yeah," she said. "It's Maria's."

I changed the number and put it into my contacts and typed in MARIA.

"That's better," I whispered to myself.

I read the text again so I could reply:

MARIA: Hi Miranda. Luke told me he asked Clarissa to Prom. Do you feel alright?

I texted her back, making sure the anger was heard through the words I typed.

ME: Do I feel ALRIGHT!? How could you not warn me about this before!? At least Alyssa had the heart to tell me about it the day before!

MARIA: I'm sorry, I had no idea! He hadn't told me about it, he doesn't tell me about anything really...

ME: Seriously? I can't believe you, we just met, and now I don't trust you.

MARIA: Please forgive give me, you know if I had known I would've alerted you!

ME: I guess, alright I can't be mad at you. Even if you had warned me, it's not like you could've changed his mind. I just need time.

MARIA: There's something I should tell you.

ME: Oh yeah? What, is Luke going out with Clarissa!?

MARIA: It depends on your opinion of it. It could be better or worse...

ME: What is it?

There was a long pause, which left me guessing she was typing the whole time. Finally, she responded:

MARIA: I didn't want to have to tell you this but Luke and I are moving next year. My parents told us today right after school. They decided it's best for us to move, since my dad got a new job in San Diego. We're moving in two months.

I sat there and when I finished reading, I sat speechless. We lived in Los Angeles, California. Maria and Luke were moving to San Diego. That's about two hours away! They were moving two hours away in TWO MONTHS. I texted her back:

ME: Come over to my house, NOW.

She arrived twenty three minutes later after I gave her my home address and she circled the neighborhood four times. We opened the door and guided her to my room, keeping silent. Then we sat down in a circle and discussed about Maria's moving.

"So you're really moving," Carmen said. "But we just met you! And you're Miranda's one and only ticket to Luke!"

"Carmen," I said, eyeing her angrily.

"Sorry," she said, her humor and smile gone.

"I'm sorry guys," Maria said. "But my parents think it's for the best that we go move to San Diego with my dad for his new work shift." She lowered her eyes sadly. "There's nothing I can do."

"Well, what about your mom," I said. "She can't quit her job can she?"

"She already told her boss she's moving," Maria said shaking her head.

"We can still text though," Carmen said. "And video chat and call each other."

"I guess," Maria said. "But it's just not the same as being with that person..."

I sighed. Maria had a point, but not only was my one true crush leaving me forever, but the last person he'd be dancing with would be Clarissa. Is life EVER fair?

Maria left shortly after we spoke about her leaving. In my opinion, she left because she didn't want to accept the fact that she was leaving right after she met us. Yes, we are THAT awesome.

Carmen decided to stay and help me with my assignment. Finally, and with the help of Carmen, I finished it and printed it out by 8:30. After she went home, I was left to my own thoughts.

Was it possible that Luke ACTUALLY liked Clarissa no matter what she did? Was it possible that during one dance he would fall and they would be together forever? I shivered at the thought, and I felt like I was going to vomit. I did NOT want to think of that. But unfortunately, one day I would have to face the facts... FUCK that day.