Chapter 15:

I was surprised that Luke had been the one to pull away. But why? Was something happening that I had no clue of? No, it couldn't be true.

Clarissa was as shocked as I was. She stood there, mouth gaping at the thought that a boy actually refused to kiss her. After that, Luke left the classroom, Clarissa storming after him, waiting for an explanation.

After lunch, I was walking to class when I heard a two people speaking privately with each other. I heard Clarissa's voice and I couldn't help but want to overhear. I checked the clock and I had three minutes until I had to get to class. Quickly, but cautiously, I rounded the corner and huddled by the corner to see that Clarissa was speaking to Luke.

"...told me. How could you do this to me?" Luke said, hurt in his voice.

"But Luke, I have no idea what you're talking about!" Clarissa said, trying to sound innocent.

"No, you KNOW perfectly well what I'm talking about!" Luke said angrily. I was about to go further when a guy rounded the corner and passed me, his pace quick enough to show urgency.

"So," he said, looking at Luke. Then he turned to Clarissa. "THIS is who you said 'yes' to after you said 'yes' to ME!?"

"I don't know what..." Clarissa began again.

"No, we are through! You can find yourself a new Prom date!" The guy said, then walked my way and left. Clarissa looked at Luke, and I saw something I never would've thought was possible; shame. Luke looked at Clarissa with fierce eyes.

"If it wasn't true, then WHAT exactly was THAT!?" Luke said, pointing in the direction that the other guy had went.

"I-I..." Clarissa looked down.

"I'm sorry, but you can find yourself another Prom date," Luke said, walking in my direction. I ducked low in case he saw me. Clarissa looked up, her eyes now mixed with anger, regret, and shame.

"How am I going to find a Prom date on such short notice!?" Clarissa yelled at him.

Before rounding the corner, Luke turned to look at her.

"Oh," Luke said. "I'm sure it won't be hard for you." Then, I left to class with a minute left until class before I was discovered.

Tuesday came and, it was my birthday! Happy Birthday to me!

When I went to Drama, I was almost positive we were about to rehearse the one and final scene, the horrible and dreadful scene for both America and me where Michael confesses his devious plans to dump America for Loraine. I took a deep breath as I stepped into the classroom, and everyone turned to me.

Slowly and cautiously, I walked towards the group of three (Carmen, Clarissa, and Luke), to see what she had to say.

"Today," Clarissa said. "Is the day that we rehearse the FINAL scene. THE final scene. The scene when poor, helpless America," she looked at me. "Learns of Michaels plans to dump her for he best friend, the scene when Michael is revealed as a bad guy, the scene when Loraine is revealed as a horrible best friend. I want it EMOTIONAL and I want it, well... EXCELLENT."

We had to shuffle around before we knew where to be. I held my script in my hand nervously.

"You may start," Clarissa said with the wave of her hand. I looked at her annoyed and saw that she was in her "Director's Chair" and she was putting on makeup. I rolled my eyes.

I entered the "Dance Hall" as Luke approached me.

"Wow," he said, having the first line. "You look amazing America."