Chapter 4

"Help! Help!" Leafkit cried. Her frantic mews grew stronger as she felt her grip loosen. No matter how hard she held on, she kept slipping off the ledge slowly. The tom was nowhere to be seen.

'Where is he?' she thought. 'He can't be too far from here already!'

"Help!" she cried again, this time much more loud and clear. "I'm about to fall off-!"

Her claws couldn't hold on any longer. She fell into the stream, barely making any sound.

Leafkit struggled as the rushing current pulled her underwater. She gasped for air once she reached the surface. Gurgling water splashed against her face. She could barely yell since water filled up her mouth. The only sound that escaped from her mouth was shriek wailing. Her paws paddled frantically as she was trying to stay above the surface.

"Help!" she yelled. Her tiny mews were almost silenced by the sound of rushing water.

She was fully submerged again. Water rushed into her throat as fast as a rabbit can run. Bubbles slowly trailed out of her mouth as she sunk deeper under the stream. Her eyes looked up to see if any cat had come to save her. However, all she saw was the fast water rushing beside her. Even if she tried to swim back up again, it would be useless. Soon enough, she was fully unconscious.

Leafkit's eyes shot open when she felt something tug against her neck. It carried her to the surface in an instant. She gasped for air and panted loudly, coughing out the water from her lungs. She looked up to see a figure that loomed over her - it was the tom.

"Are you okay?" he asked, his voice laced with concern.

Leafkit shivered terribly. "I-I'm fine. Just a b-b-bit cold."

The tom squinted his eyes at her. "Hey, you're Pebblestar's kit, right? Why are you so far from the nursery?"

"Why am I so far from the nursery? Why did you sneak out?"

"That's none of your business!"

Leafkit stood up suddenly and wore an angry expression. "I'm not a kit, I'm 5 moons old! Plus, you're not supposed to go out... right?"

"I was just hunting, kit. You know, normal apprentice stuff."

"But there are no cats with you. I always see cats together when they're hunting."

The tom thought for a moment, then he nervously laughed. "Hah, I was just, uh, taking a walk to see the scenery!"

"Yeah right. You must be eating prey for yourself!"

"You're smart for a kit. I'll tell you what I'm up to as long as you don't tell anyone, okay?"

Leafkit nodded hesitantly. He continued, "I'm hunting tonight so that my hunting mission will be easier tomorrow! Once Featherstep sees all this prey I've stocked up, I'll be a warrior in no time."

"But you need to catch fresh-kill. This is uh... not fresh!"

The tom scoffed. "Pshh, whatever. Prey is prey, fresh-kill is fresh-kill. I'd do anything to be a warrior now." Leafkit giggled at the words of the mischievous apprentice.

"We should go back to camp now, I know the way back," the tom advised. "You're Leafkit, right?"

"Yeah! And you are...?"

"Owlpaw, the one and only from FrostClan!" Owlpaw tilted his head up and puffed up his chest with pride.

————

"Hey, it was nice meeting you, Owlpaw. Thanks for saving me back there," Leafkit thanked Owlpaw as soon as they arrived at camp.

"Yeah, it's nothing, I wouldn't let any kit be fish food. I'm gonna go back to my den, I'm getting sleepy!"