Chapter 24

"All cats who are old enough to catch their own prey, gather around the high rock for a Clan meeting!" Pebblestar called with an ear-splitting yowl.

Everyone in the Clan shuffled uncomfortably. A strong air of anxiety filled their heads. The sun shone down brightly on their faces. They gathered around the high rock, eager to watch the meeting. Swiftstrike stood right in the middle, facing Pebblestar with a bold grimace.

"Today, we are gathered to exile Swiftstrike who has been convicted of attacking our beloved Clanmates," Pebblestar continued. "Swiftstrike, before you are exiled, would you like to defend yourself and your actions? If LightClan wills it, you may stay in this Clan. If LightClan deems you guilty, then you must leave immediately."

All eyes were locked on Swiftstrike. They stared at the senior warrior, eagerly waiting for an answer. Soon, he opened his mouth to speak.

"I have nothing to say in my defense. Yes, I am guilty," Swiftstrike scoffed as he lifted his head to the sky. Shocked gasps and murmurs spread through the audience.

Pebblestar closed her eyes understandingly. "Very well, Swiftstrike. Cats of FrostClan-"

"I would like to provide a justification, if I may." Pebblestar hesitated at first, but eventually nodded. Swiftstrike rasped, "FrostClan! My Clanmates, my friends, my brothers and sisters! How did we let our Clan blood be tainted?"

"What exactly do you mean?"

"You know what I mean, Pebblestar. I'm sure everyone here knows! We, as a Clan, have brought shame to our ancestors by softening up to kittypets, rogues, and loners! Yes, I am behind these attacks, but am I doing the wrong thing for protecting FrostClan from these parasites?"

Cats who were born outside FrostClan bared their teeth at those words. Meanwhile, the Clan-born cats looked more nervous than outraged. Some even whispered in agreement.

Swiftstrike continued, "I'm doing a favor for all of you, but it's a real pity that none of you saw it that way. Therefore, I will gladly be exiled. What's the point of being in a Clan if they're overrun by outsiders?"

"Is there anything else you want to say?"

Swiftstrike flicked his tail. "No. Nothing else. I'm sure I don't need to say much to get my point across. If any of you here had half the brain of a mouse, you'd know whether I'm right."

"Cats of FrostClan! All in favor of exiling Swiftstrike, let out a yowl so our choice may be heard by LightClan and our ancestors!"

A large crowd of cats yowled. A few simply kept their mouths shut, unsure of what to do. They exchanged confused glances with each other as their fur pricked up with uncertainty. However, the majority has expressed their approval.

"Thank you for your voice," Pebblestar thanked. "The Clan has decided your fate, Swiftstrike. You are never to step foot in FrostClan territory ever again. If any of our Clanmates catch you anywhere within our borders, we won't hesitate to use physical force. Do you understand?"

Swiftstrike didn't utter a word. He squinted his gray eyes at the leader, whipped his head around, and walked away with the pace of a fox. He puffed out his chest and lifted his chin, as if he didn't carry the weight of his actions. Pebblestar ordered Skunktail and Featherstep to escort him out of FrostClan territory. Confused and somber mews were heard.

Leafpaw watched the scene unfold from the audience. 'Pebblestar's letting him go that easily? He could easily attack more of us!' she thought.

"To replace Swiftstrike's mentorship, Morningpaw will be training under Stormrunner and Quailpaw will be training under Doehoof," Pebblestar announced. "I will organize a search patrol to find Birchpaw. If he accepts, he can join our Clan again and resume his apprentice training."