Chapter 23

The season turned warmer as newleaf came, bringing an end to the harsh leaf-bare. Even though the snow melted away, Leafpaw's worries didn't. Her mind was plagued with constant reminders of Swiftstrike's looming presence. It felt as if he was watching every single thing she did. She couldn't spend a day without a great sense of dread twisting her stomach.

Leafpaw tried her best to keep her mind off of the problem. She attempted to focus her efforts into her upcoming assessments, but it was no use.

Every time she heard a twig cracking, she imagined Swiftstrike following close behind. Every time she sunk her teeth into a mouse, she imagined Swiftstrike tearing her open with his bare claws. Every time she looked at the Stream Of Leaping Fish, she imagined Swiftstrike drowning her under the rushing water. Keeping her mind at peace felt impossible.

Fortunately, there have been no recent attacks in the Clan. Despite the good news, to Leafpaw, it just worsened her anxieties. She fretted about what Swiftstrike was about to do next.

————

Leafpaw returned to camp with three large birds in her mouth after finishing her second hunting assessment. Due to the new season, more prey emerged from their hiding spots. Satisfied with the amount she caught, she placed them onto the fresh-kill pile.

"Well done, Leafpaw," Doehoof complimented brightly. "I see that your digging is far more stable than last time."

Leafpaw's pelt shimmered in response. "Thank you. Are there any other assessments I need to do?"

"Actually, you're almost ready for your warrior ceremony!"

Leafpaw's ears perked up. "My warrior ceremony?"

"Yes, you've completed your hunting, fighting, and border guard assessments with exceptional results these past few days. You only need one more assessment to complete."

"I can't believe it, it feels like I just became an apprentice yesterday," Leafpaw eyes lit up. Her sour mood slightly improved after hearing the news. "What's my last task?"

"A service assessment. You might think that the Clan can only be helped by doing big, impressive tasks like fighting off invaders and protecting our borders. On the contrary, simple things like watching kits and taking care of elders are also duties of a warrior."

Leafpaw groaned. "I thought only apprentices had to do that. Am I going to be picking ticks off of elders for the rest of my life?"

"I know, I know, it's not as grand as you expected. But look on the bright side, it's easier than finding a plump mouse in the middle of leaf-bare! Most of the time, apprentices take care of those kinds of tasks anyway. It won't be a regular thing for you to do once you become a warrior. I won't be watching you this time so you better be on your best behavior. I'll ask the elders and the queens to judge how well you've performed."

'Oh well, at least this assessment will keep my mind off Swiftstrike,' Leafpaw told herself, sighing.

————

After a long day at the elders' den, the last thing Leafpaw had to do was watch the kits. Her mouth was sore from picking out ticks for what seemed like forever. As she entered the nursery, a wave of warmth and familiarity hit her. It has been so long since she last stepped into this place. She still could recall where her old moss bed was and the kind of games she would play as a kit. Life was simpler back then.

A whiff of queen's milk and moss filled her nostrils when she came inside. She noticed Blazekit and Sheepkit wrestling playfully. Leafpaw was pleasantly surprised to see how big they've grown. They've outgrown their own moss beds and they seem to be almost ready to be apprentices. The scene made her grow sentimental of when she was still a kit herself all those moons ago. She reminisced the moments where she got in trouble with Silverpaw without a care in the world. It seemed like her world had turned upside down since then.