Chapter 10

Leafpaw rushed out of the apprentice's den, frantically searching for her friend. There wasn't any sight of Silverpaw anywhere. She raced to the clearing in front of the nursery.

"Silverpaw? Are you there?" she called. There wasn't any response.

She ran towards the medicine den and tried calling again. "Silverpaw! Are you in here? It's me, Leafpaw!"

There was only Molestripe and Robinpaw inside. They exchanged confused glances. "What are you doing here looking for Silverpaw? I hope you're not playing hide and seek!" Robinpaw grumbled.

"I-I haven't seen her at all since moon-high! I'm afraid her mind's going all over the place because of Nightpaw's accident and-"

"Great LightClan, Leafpaw. She's over there!" Robinpaw pointed out. Leafpaw turned around to see Silverpaw sitting behind the high rock.

Leafpaw quickly approached her friend. Silverpaw's eyes were as wide as the moon and her body looked stiff. She was barely distinguishable under the shade of the forest.

"Silverpaw, what are you doing here? You should be at the apprentices' den!"

Silverpaw shook her head. "L-Leafpaw? Oh, I'm sorry for m-making you worried! I, ugh, I just... I don't know how to explain it."

A silence fell among the two apprentices. Silverpaw stared at the ground while Leafpaw wondered about what was going on.

"It's Nightpaw, isn't it? You're acting paranoid like when Runningspirit got attacked." Silverpaw nodded slightly in response, her head facing away.

Leafpaw comforted, "Look, you can tell me anything! You're my best friend, Silverpaw. Do you want to talk about it?"

"No, no... I don't think- think so..."

'I don't think i should force her to tell me,' Leafpaw thought.  "Hey, just remember that no matter what, you'll be okay! If anything tries to harm you, it'll have to go through me first. Now, let's get back to the apprentices' den. It's freezing out here!"

The two she-cats padded towards the apprentices' den. They exchanged a couple of jokes on the way. Yet, Leafpaw could tell that her friend didn't sound as cheerful as usual. Silverpaw's tone was laced with worry and her voice quivered a lot. As soon as they entered, they curled up in their own moss beds.

Leafpaw quickly fell asleep just like the other apprentices only to be awoken moments later to the sound of gentle pawsteps. She squinted at the source of the noise, annoyed that someone dared to disturb her slumber.

'Who in the name of LightClan is making that noise?' she thought, her eyes half open.

When her vision was normal, she saw Birchpaw and Silverpaw escaping the den. The moon was still high in the sky and cats haven't woken up yet. 'What are they doing so late in the night?' she asked herself. When the two cats had exited, she followed them silently to see what they were up to.

Leafpaw trudged through the snow, following Birchpaw and Silverpaw. Their gray pelts glistened under the moon's silver glow. The pair was heading to SparkClan's border. An ashy scent filled Leafpaw's nose as she wondered what the two cats were doing. She hid behind a bush and watched silently.

Birchpaw climbed onto a large boulder. He reached the top and meowed triumphantly. Silverpaw instantly dropped into a defensive crouch as the noise filled the air.

"Birchpaw! What are you doing?! Our Clanmates will hear you!" she panicked, her fur standing on its end.

"Don't worry! They'll think it's an owl or something. Come up here!"