Chapter 20

Leafpaw dug her unsheathed claws into Birchpaw's back. Her eyes were filled with fury. She couldn't stand the possibility of Silverpaw being in danger because of this criminal. She managed to pin Birchpaw to the cold, frosted ground.

Birchpaw kept struggling – this fight shouldn't be won so easily, especially after all he's been through. Using his hind legs, he kicked Leafpaw off of him, sending her into the air. With grace, she landed on her paws. She breathed heavily as she anticipated Birchpaw's next moves.

Birchpaw threw himself at the she-cat. He clawed at her and she clawed back in retaliation. They tussled vigorously in the snow. The two apprentices yowled and hissed as they shed blood.

Silverpaw couldn't tell what was happening at this point. She felt her throat tighten, causing her to gasp for air. Her heartbeat grew rapidly and she soon became lightheaded. She could feel pressure on her chest. Her paws tingled with a sensation of a thousand pines pricking into her skin. Powerless and confused, she ran back to camp.

"Silverpaw, wait!" Leafpaw called. She stopped clawing at her opponent in an instant. Before catching up to Silverpaw, she shot Birchpaw a dirty look and hissed, "I should've ripped you apart when I had the chance!"

Birchpaw panted heavily after being released from her claws. After gaining his balance, he growled in a low voice, "You can hurt me all you want, Leafpaw. You can claw me to shreds and I wouldn't mind at all. You can even kill me – as long as you never hurt Silverpaw."

"I would never. Unlike you would, murderer!"

Birchpaw resisted the urge to attack Leafpaw again. "Fine! Call me a murderer! I could care less! But if you hurt as much as a whisker on her, you will pay for it. That includes her feelings."

Leafpaw clicked her tongue. "When have I ever done that?"

"I suppose this night is a good example, in case you haven't noticed." Birchpaw disappeared into the trees without waiting for a response.

Leafpaw stared blankly at the ground. She shook off flakes of snow that were stuck on her pelt and attempted to clear her mind. 'That mouse-brained murderer doesn't know what he's talking about. He's probably filled Silverpaw's head with lies already!' she thought.

————

Leafpaw made a speedy return to camp, hoping to get enough sleep for the next day. Judging from Silverpaw's absence as far as she could see, she assumed that the gray apprentice was in the apprentices' den. She tried to walk as softly as she could back to her own moss bed. Her paws lightly stepped on the ground in front of the medicine den only to wake up one of the cats inside.

Leafpaw quickly tried to hide herself under a dense bush. She could see a head perk out of the den. It was Nightpaw. The dark-colored she-cat had a hopeful look in her eyes.

"Sandclaw? Sandclaw? Is that you?" she stammered softly with a smile. "I knew you would come back for me!"

'I can't believe she still thinks her father is alive. It's been over a moon since her accident!' Leafpaw thought with pity.

Nightpaw caught the noise of Leafpaw rustling in the leaves. She sniffed the air and inspected the bush. When she discovered the source of the noise, her heart filled with disappointed.

"Oh, it's just you, Leafpaw," she sighed. "I should've known you weren't my father. Sandclaw has a different scent. What are you doing here anyway? And why are you covered in blood?"

Leafpaw stared at her with big eyes. "It's a long story and I would rather, er, keep it a secret." She shuddered at the memory of Birchpaw digging his claws into her skin. "Can you please treat my wounds?"