Chapter 13

The Clan cats stared down at Leafpaw, their eyes as cold as ice. The apprentice felt dismay tugging at her stomach as she looked at their scowling faces. Cats from both WillowClan and FrostClan were shocked by the sight. Murmurs were heard from all sides, some out of surprise while others were laced with distaste. All Leafpaw could do was lie down on the cold, crisp snow.

"Doehoof, carry Leafpaw to the medicine den and ask Molestripe or Robinpaw to treat her. Swiftstrike, lead FrostClan back to camp. Skunktail, please wait here with me while Vinestar and I have a word," Pebblestar ordered.

Doehoof immediately bit the apprentice's scruff, dragging her back to camp. She followed her Clanmates to their territory. Leafpaw was ashamed of her foolish action. Not only did she embarrass herself, she possibly could have embarrassed her own mother too. She terribly wished that she could dig herself a hole, crawl into it, and stay there forever. Unfortunately, she was being carried like a kit along a snowy trail.

"What an absolutely revolting sight," Swiftstrike grumbled. "The precious Clan leader's daughter doesn't even know the first rule of gatherings; no fighting."

Morningpaw, who was walking alongside him, responded, "Leafpaw would never fight another for no clear reason. What if Vinestar was-"

"Whatever excuse that careless apprentice had for quarreling with Vinestar, it is still no reason to break the peace of the gathering!" Swiftstrike's bitter tone left Morningpaw mute. He simply continued to walk, frowning. The conversation gave a foul feeling in Leafpaw's heart. Her body shivered with regret.

————

Leafpaw laid on a moss bed in the medicine den, her ears drooping to the ground. She watched as Robinpaw entered as he carried something wrapped in leaves. The medicine cat apprentice sat down with a neutral expression on his face.

"Eat these," he mewed, gesturing at the seeds inside the leaf. "Your body's in shock so these poppy seeds should ease your muscles."

Leafpaw chewed on them and swallowed. Her mind was still spinning with thoughts of what had happened earlier. She sighed with frustration.

Robinpaw comforted, "I heard about what happened earlier. To be honest, it was pretty foolish, but I'm impressed you had the guts to do that. Wanna talk about it?" Leafpaw shook her head, not a word uttered from her mouth despite her having a million things to say.

Robinpaw stood up. "I need to get more herbs to treat Nightpaw. When your body doesn't ache anymore, meet Pebblestar in her den. She wants to speak with you."

"Fox dung," Leafpaw whispered to herself. She knew exactly why her mother wanted to meet her.

————

Leafpaw's legs finally were able to support her body. She wobbled a bit while she stood up, anticipating what could come next. Her tail swayed with nervousness as she imagined the possibilities, her mind completely flooded with thoughts. She knew how furious her mother must be. 'Calm down, Leafpaw,' she reminded herself. 'Pebblestar is a fair leader, she'll understand what happened.'

Leafpaw slowly entered the leader's den. Inside, the air was terribly dry. The long leaves that lined the entrance were shriveled up and lacking their color. Flakes of snow were scattered on the ground. On top of a moss bed, Pebblestar was seated. She glared at Leafpaw with penetrating eyes. The anxious apprentice instantly lowered her head as a sign of respect, her knees shaking slightly.

"P-Pebblestar," she stuttered. "I apologize for what happened at the gathering."

"Why did you attack Vinestar?" Pebblestar asked, her tone as sharp as thorns.