Loved or Unloved?: Chapter 16 - Opened eyes

CHAPTER SIXTEEN: Opened eyes

“Her eyelids fluttered!” shouted a voice, too loud for my liking.

“I think she’s awake!”

“Sophie! Sophie, can you hear me?”

“Are you awake?”

“Can you hear me?”

“Sophie!”

“Shut up!” I managed to shout with my dry, scratchy throat.

“She’s awake!”

“Tell her family!”

“No you tell them!”

“Shh, she’s trying to say something!”

“W-Water,” I croaked.

Within seconds I felt a glass slip between my dry, chapped lips. The person holding the cup for me was gently pouring the contents slowly into my mouth. After draining the whole cup, I slowly opened my eyes to see a worried-looking Jade and a grinning Nick.

“Hey Soph! We missed you,” Nick said.

“Are you alright?” Jade asked, concerned.

“I’m fine, I think. What happened? Where am I? What do you mean by you missed me? Didn’t I just see you a while ago?” I asked, all in one breath.

“Whoa, chill Soph. Chill.”

“Answer me!”

“You almost got hurt by a car, you are in the hospital if you haven’t figured yet and, I’m sorry to break this to you but, you were in coma for a month,” Nick explained, with a sad, pitying look on his face.

“A month, no way,” I muttered to myself. One month? I must be behind at school! I must have missed out so much. I can’ t believe I’ve been in coma for one month.

Jade frowned at Nick before punching him really, really hardly on his arm. “Don’t scare Sophie like that! Hey Soph, Nick’s just being stupid. You were out for a day. That’s it, nothing else. Don’t believe that guy.”

“Really?” I asked.

“Yup.”

I breathed a sigh of relief. “Oh thank God! I thought I missed school for a whole month and spent it asleep.”

“What? You were worried about school? At a time like that, you worried about school?” Nick asked incredulously.

Jade and I both raised our eyebrows at him. “Why not?”

“Nerds,” he said while shaking his head.

“We aren’t nerds!” Jade and I both defended at the same time.

“Yes you both are.”

“Are not!”

“Are too!”

“Are not!”

“Are too!”

“Guys, stop acting like five year olds. Will someone please tell me why I’m in the hospital?” I interjected.

“Well, we aren’t too sure..” Jade trailed off.

“Just tell me what you guys know and think.

“Are you sure you want to know?” Nick asked.

“Yes.”

“You were crossing the road, blindly may I add, and you were almost hit by an oncoming car. But superman who was in his red underwear came out and pushed you aside just in time, causing the car to hit superman himself instead.”