Loved or Unloved?: Epilogue

EPILOGUE

“I’m scared.”

“There’s nothing to be afraid of.”

“What if they don’t like me?” I asked.

“They’ll love you,” Zac assured me.

“What if they don’t?”

“Sophie, I love you and that’s the only thing that matters.”

“What if I screw up and say the wrong things?” I asked in a quiet voice after some time.

“You always screw up and say the wrong things,” Zac pointed out.

I lightly hit him on the arm. “Not helping.”

Zac chuckled. “Just quit worrying about it.”

“Fine.” I stared straight at the scenery whizzing past the car as Zac drove me to his house to meet and have dinner with his parents for the first time. It’s been half a year since we started dating again and this was the moment I’ve been dreading. Could I face the man who murdered my father? Did he know he was going to meet the daughter of the man he killed? Would he feel guilty? I kept asking myself these questions over and over again.

Suddenly, the shrill ring of my phone pierced through the silence. I fumbled around for a while before I found it and slid the answer button.

“Hello?” I answered.

“Sophie! Guess what just happened to me?”

“There are more than a billion things that can happen to you, just tell me.”

“Cody asked me out!” Jade shouted into the phone.

“Really?”

“Yes!”

“Well, what did you say?”

“I said no,” Jade answered flatly.

“What? Why?” I asked, confused. Jade has taken an interest Cody ever since he made that stupid joke in class, so why would she reject him?

“Of course I said yes, idiot!”

“Congratulations. I want to know everything in detail and don’t leave anything out.”

“Of course. I was planning on telling you everything. Can I come over now?”

“Not right now. I’m on my way to Zac’s house to meet his parents,” I answered.

“Oh I forgot that was today! How are you holding up?”

“Bad. I want to run away,” I replied honestly.

“Just be yourself and you’ll be fine!”

“Easier said than done!”

“Hey, look, I got to go. Mom is calling me down for dinner. Listen, you’re funny, adorable, smart polite and everything a boy’s parents would look for in their future daughter-in-laws. So stop doubting yourself, okay?”

“That’s not what I’m worried about.”

“Is it about his father?” I nodded but then remembered she couldn’t see me.

“Yeah.”

“It’s going to be fine, Sophie.”

“I hope.”

“I really have to go now. Bye and good luck!”

“Alright. Bye, Jade,” I said and hung up.