Seven

"Hey," Louis reaches across the table and squeezes Harry's hand. Harry tears his eyes away from the baby across the ice cream shop and looks at his husband. "I took you out to take your mind off of babies."

"'M sorry," Harry says softly, lips in a bit of a pout as he looks down at his ice cream. He can hear Louis sigh.

"No, 's okay, love," Louis assures, squeezing Harry's hand again. His hands are so warm, even with the snow falling outside. Harry loves ice cream when it's cold out, don't ask Louis why, so Louis decided to cheer him up.

"What do you want for your birthday?" Harry asks, bringing their entwined fingers up to his lips and kissing Louis' middle finger. Louis smiles wearily, resting his chin in the palm of his free hand as he feels Harry's warm breath against his skin.

And, what Louis really wants is a baby. This is probably karma for all the times he reminded Harry he didn't want a baby. Now he really wants one, and they're trying really hard, but maybe this just wasn't meant to happen for them.

"You know I don't need anything, babe," Louis says quietly, bringing he and Harry's hands back down to the table. "'Ve got you, that's all I need."

Harry grins, rolling his eyes playfully. "You say that every year," He points out, and then his eyes land on the baby across the shop again, and his face softens into a frown. Louis frowns as well, stroking the back of Harry's hand with his thumb.

"I love you, Hazza," He reminds quietly. Harry looks back over to him and smiles weakly.

"I love you too," He whispers.

Harry stares at the pregnancy test in between his thumb and index finger, sighing at the one line burning back into his eyes. He stands up and tosses it into the rubbish bin, walking out of the washroom and towards the bedroom where Louis is sleeping.

He crawls on top of Louis rather than laying down on his side of the bed. Louis immediately grunts and brings his hand to the small of Harry's back as Harry burrows his nose into his husband's chest.

"You should be sleepin', darlin'," Louis grumbles sleepily, not opening his eyes.

"Sorry," Harry whispers. "I'm just not tired."

"Still," Louis' voice is raspy with sleep, his hand still a comforting weight on Harry's back. "You'll be tired tuh-morrow."

"I'll be okay," Harry mumbles, leaning up and kissing Louis' jawline. "I love you, Lou."

Louis smiles faintly. "I love you too, Hazza," He mumbles sluggishly, Harry rolling off of Louis and to his side of the bed.