My Heart is a Soldier ✔️

"What do you mean I don't have any money to collect!" I yelled at Carlos, the betting host

"What do you mean I don't have any money to collect!" I yelled at Carlos, the betting host. "Mae, people don't bet on you anymore, you've only ever won one fight, and it's because they never showed up!" Carlos said as he organized money behind the stand at the alley entrance.

"I won that fight fair and square!" I declared.

"Look, if you don't start winning fights you won't get anyone betting on you, and we aren't going to pay you to give up 4o seconds into a fight." He said, rolling his eyes.

"Ya know what, fuck you, Carlos. I'm going to win my next fight, and keep winning, and then I'll make it to the championship and beat your sorry ass." I yelled and whirled around, smacking straight into the one and only Matthew Halle.

"I am so sorry." I rushed to say. I stared up into his dark brown eyes, just looking at him was overwhelming.

"Watch where your going bitch," He says, then steps to my right and steps up to the stand Carlos is at.

"Dick!" I yell.

I left after that to go and pick up Ona. She had been staying with my best friend Jeremy.  Jeremy has been here for me since we were kids. I spent a lot of my childhood there, and at Amber's, they were my stabilizers.

"Hey Jeremy, I'll be there in 20 minutes. Have Ona ready to go soon, I had a rough night. Bye." I said through the phone, clicking the end call button right away. It hurt to talk from all the beating up I took a few moments ago.

I walked up to Jeremy's driveway and saw Ona run out the front door and straight to me. She was giggling and then jumped in my arms. I winced, but picked her up and supported her.

"Thank you, Jeremy," I said and gave him twenty dollars.

"I don't need your money, Mae. I enjoy watching Ona." He said and handed it back. I sighed and handed it back to him.

"Please just take it," I said and stuffed it in his pocket. He sighed and put it back in my hand, closing his hand over mine.

"Trust me, Mae, you need it more than me. With how beaten up your getting I know your not winning. I was once in that process, and I know how much it beats people up." He said and kissed my cheek, then Ona's. Ona giggled and kissed him back.

"Bye Oney," he said and tickled her little stomach.

"Bye Jerms!" She said back, making him laugh. Jerms was his nickname that Ona had given him and he loved it. I waved bye to Jeremy and then started the short walk back to our apartment.

We got back at about midnight, Ona was fast asleep in my arms and I tucked her in bed, put a cup of water on her nightstand, turned her Dora nightlight on and shut her ceiling light off, leaving the door cracked of course. I opened our empty fridge and sighed at the fact that I hadn't eaten a proper meal in a few days. I needed to get some food for Ona. She can't starve.

I sighed and went to the couch, Ona had her own room, while I slept on the sofa. I went to bed hungry, with determination on my mind.

I am going to become a fighter. I'm going to become the street fighter. Watch out Matthew, because Mae's coming for your spot.