A Change Of Heart ✔️

My fist connected with the punching bag

My fist connected with the punching bag. Pain went up through my arm as usual, but it went away quicker each time I punched. I was getting better. A few days had passed since I'd moved in with the boys and they taught me something about street fighting at least once a day. Today Matthew was actually training me. I was shocked after the drunken night at the beach I thought he wouldn't talk to me for sending his girlfriend home.

"Focus, remember, punch, punch, kick, punch, kick, punch, then elbow jab." He reminds me, sternness filling his voice. The bell signaling that someone had walked in rang and I looked up at a tired Denny. He'd been distant since the night at the beach and I felt horrible for kissing him, I planned to talk to him today but Matthew pounded on my door bright and early demanding that I find a place for Ona and to be ready in fifteen minutes. Chase was currently watching Ona while I did the routine Matthew showed me.

"Can I take a break and talk to Denny for a second?" I ask, hoping he'll say yes.

"Whatever, it's your practice time lost." He says and drinks from his bottle. Matthew was slowly becoming more friendly with me, it was a work in progress.

"Denny, can I talk to you for a second?"

DENNY'S POV

"Denny, can I talk to you for a second?" Mae asks, walking toward me.

You can't ignore her forever.

You could try...

"Uh yeah, I've been meaning to talk to you as well." I reply back. She smiles lightly and starts walking to the locker room. There was only a men's locker room because it's a family gym no girl ever needed a locker room.

"Look, about the night at the beach, I'm sorry for kissing you like that. I should have just said no. I'm sorry for pressuring you or giving you a bad experience," She says, staring at the ground.

Bad experience?... ha

"What! No I should be apologizing not you! It's been hard for me to be in any sort of relationship since well... since my girlfriend passed a few months ago." Her face dropped from a frown to an even larger frown.

"Denny I'm so sorry. You do not have to explain yourself," she rushes to say, sitting down beside me on the bench.

"Yes I do, my girlfriend, Elaine, died four months ago because of cancer, she was the love of my life, I thought she was the one. And then I woke up one morning to a call from the hospital saying she passed away. I was ruined. Fighting became my escape, I of course fought before, but not as much as I did in these last four months. I was fighting a few days a week, and everyday of the weekend. Then you came along, and well, I just didn't want to fight anymore." I said, my cheeks flushing.

She gave me sad smile and wrapped her arms around me.

Holy hell she's giving me a hug!

"Thank you for telling me," She says and kisses my cheek. I can feel myself blushing.

"Would you, maybe want to go out to dinner with me some time?" I ask, nervousness eating me alive.

She smiles widely.

"I'd love to."