Pain Runs in the Family - Chapter 17

*Louis' P.O.V*

I grabbed the phone from Gabby's limp hand. She looked so pale, so ... dead?

"Emily. What happened?" I asked through nervous breaths. The boys helped Gabby into my room, Harry and Zayn got her some water and Niall and Liam set her down in a chair and whispered comforting nothings into her ear.

"Louis ... it's her mom."

My face flushed and I felt my eyes widen.

"She was on her way home to see Gabby when ... her plane ... it crashed." 

I felt a small nervous tear escape my eye. 

"Louis ... there's a slim chance her mother will survive."

"Oh my gosh ... Emily, she has to get there as soon as possible." We arranged plans for Gabby to go back to New York tomorrow morning. I saw a small bit of movement come from her, and her eyes fluttered open softly. She looked as pale as Niall, her eyes filled with nervousness and sadness.

"Emily she's up. I'll talk to you later." I ended our call and I looked at Gabby, lost on what to do next.

She sat there motionless and fragile. 

"What if she dies Louis?"  She whispered, her expression still blank. 

"Don't say that Gabriela! She'll be okay."

"I need to go home."

"Emily and I already made plans, my love." 

She nodded, but her face was still somewhere different. It scared me to see my beautiful Gabriela like this.

"Lou ... the last time I spoke to her ... we had an argument." My heart sent a dose of pain throughout my body because that was the same day I thought I lost Gabby forever.

"Babe, it'll be okay-"

"No Louis ... it won't." Her voice was barely audible and tears were unknowingly falling down her cheeks. Harry cupped her face and turned her face to look at him. His eyes were stern and I noticed she was shaking. I looked worriedly at the boys and they nodded. They knew what happened. They knew about her mom. 

"She'll be okay Gabby. Your mom is a strong woman."

"Are you hitting on her?" Zayn chimed in from behind him. Everyone chuckled and even Gabby cracked a smile.

"NO! ... Do you think I'll have a chance? Or ..."

"Harry."

We all looked at Gabby. "No ...." She shook her head and we all laughed at him. His cheeks turned pink and he huffed. "Well, I like her daughter anyway."

"Don't push it." I warned and he backed away from her. Before he got up, though, she grabbed his wrist and pulled him back, burying her face into his chest. Her sobs were slow, but she gripped onto him, and he took this opportunity to stay with her. 

'I'll-be-right-back' I mouthed and I slipped out.

"Louis! Wait up!"

I turned to see three of my best friends following me. They obviously knew something was wrong, but I didn't until Zayn motioned for me to spill it all out.

"Why did she want him?! Why not me?! I'm her boyfriend!"

"Louis, Harry is her best friend. She probably doesn't want you to see her like that. Weak and vulnerable. Danielle hates to cry in front of me, but when she does, she always apologizes, as if she is doing something wrong." Liam said, putting his arm around my shoulder.