Roderick

"I can't believe what I'm hearing," said Prince Roderick, standing in front of the King's Council table. King Robar, Garrett Vestarr, Vorian, Ser Brett, and Ser Lloyd also sat with them.

"Which part do you not believe, brother?" asked Vorian. King Robar had suggested hiring mercenaries to assassinate Valeria Karvine as he had hired a cutthroat to poison Harland Karvine when he was only ten years old.

"Poisoning, father?" said Roderick. "Are you kidding me?"

"It's a less messy way to deal with your enemies, son," King Robar reminded. "Need I remind you that Valeria Karvine wants my head?"

"There's a reason for that," Roderick argued. "And just to suggest poisoning shows how desperate you are."

"So, you're saying I'm a coward?" asked Robar.

"That's exactly what I'm saying," said Roderick. "Why don't you face her army with your own, instead?"

"I don't need your advice to fight a war, Roderick," the King reminded. "And this war won't start if Valeria dies." Roderick couldn't believe what he was hearing.

"I can see how poisoning a girl makes everything so much better," said Roderick, with sarcasm.

"Another city has fallen to her, Roderick!" shouted Robar.

"I don't care!" yelled Roderick. "Poisoning a ten-year-old is bad enough!"

"I stand with Prince Roderick, Your Grace," said Commander Vestarr. "What you are suggesting is cowardly, and it wouldn't make your position as King any better."

"And why should I care what the rabble thinks of me?" Robar demanded.

"How about because you want to stay on the Dragon Throne," Roderick suggested. "I thought you were better than this, father."

"What is that supposed to mean?" said King Robar.

"What are you really worried about?" Roderick asked. "Are you worried about your people, or yourself? You know better than anyone that not everyone wants our family to rule Aetherian, and I can see why, now."

"Even so, you and Commander Vestarr stand alone in this matter," King Robar reminded.

"No, Your Grace," Ser Brett asserted, and he stood beside Prince Roderick, only an inch taller than him, then Commander Vestarr stood at his other side.

"Not anymore," Vestarr corrected. "It isn't weak to listen to the word of a son. Prince Roderick is one of the only reasons we won the Redwald Rebellion. He is a tactical genius, despite his age."

"You are forgetting who is King, Garrett," said Robar. "You will find an eastern cutthroat or mercenary army to deal with Valeria."

"No, Robar," Garrett denied, taking off his Head Counselor's pin. He threw it onto the table and said "You will. You're asking me to find someone to murder a child, and I will have no part in it."

"Commander?" said Roderick, pulling Vestarr into the hallway. "Think about what you are doing. Resigning from your position of Head Counselor?"

"We both heard the King, Prince Roderick," Commander Vestarr reminded. "There is no use reasoning with him. You know that better than anyone."

"What about Lord Ingram's murder?" asked Roderick. "How will you find out if the Lysanders actually killed him?"

"The one person who last saw Lord Ingram alive was murdered by a bannerman of House Lysander right before I was to talk to him," said Commander Vestarr. "It isn't complicated. I suppose I will be joining Belle and Melody on the trip back to Snowfall."

"You're leaving?" said Roderick.

"I'll be of no more use here, and Lord Ingram will get no justice in this city."