08. Radagast the Brown

08.
Radagast the Brown

The smell of the cave the Trolls had been hiding in was the most rotten thing that Aninth had ever smelled

The smell of the cave the Trolls had been hiding in was the most rotten thing that Aninth had ever smelled. It wafted up and out of the cave, prompting the blonde to cover her nose with her hand before even reaching the entrance.

"Oh, what's that stench?" Nori asked.

"It's a Troll-hoard," Gandalf answered, "be careful what you touch."

They delved deeper into the cave, coughs coming from everyone as the smell worsened. Torches were lit and bathed the cave in soft light, glittering off of metal mugs, tankards, bowls, plates, and most importantly, coin.

"Seems a shame to just leave it lying around..." Bofur said, nudging a pile of gold with his foot, "anyone could take it."

"Agreed," Gloin said, "Nori."

"Yeah?" Nori answered.

"Get a shovel."

Aninth turned her attention away from the Dwarves and towards Thorin as he came upon a container of swords. She perked up at the thought of getting a new sword. She was in desperate need of a second one and it was hard to come across cheap, well-made swords that came in her size.

"These swords were not made by any Troll," Thorin said as she approached and grabbed one out of the container.

They were covered in cobwebs, but Aninth didn't mind since it was easy enough to clean them off. Especially with Ryvniss' help. She pulled one out by the sheath as Gandalf wandered over to inspect the swords that Thorin had found.

"Nor were they made by any smith among Men," Gandalf answered. He unsheathed the sword to look upon the blade. "These were forged in Gondolin, by the High Elves of the First Age."

Aninth herself unsheathed the blade to have a better look at it. It was indeed a fine blade, and most definitely of Elven make. She wasn't surprised when this instantly repulsed Thorin, and he pulled his hand back from the handle and made to put it back.

"You could not ask for a finer blade," Gandalf protested.

"Well, I am taking this one for sure," she said.

Thorin reconsidered as Aninth sheathed the blade again and hooked it to her belt. She could clean it (or rather, have Ryvniss clean it) later.

"Let's get out of this foul place," Thorin commanded, "come on, let's go."

Thankful to be able to leave the stench behind, Aninth eagerly followed. Out of the cave, she breathed in fresh air and made her way over to the rest of the group and where they were gathering everything together.

Gandalf came out a moment after everyone else and spoke to Bilbo. She didn't hear what they were talking about, and she didn't have more than a moment to dwell on it because in that moment, something happened.