12. Moon Runes

12.
Moon Runes

It seemed that Aninth's words had gotten through to Thorin on some level because while he was not happy about it, he had at least agreed to meet with Lord Elrond later that night to talk and possibly be convinced to show him the map

It seemed that Aninth's words had gotten through to Thorin on some level because while he was not happy about it, he had at least agreed to meet with Lord Elrond later that night to talk and possibly be convinced to show him the map. He was being as stubborn as ever, but Aninth had hope that he could be convinced. After all, they really needed to know what was hidden on that map.

"Our business is no concern of Elves," Thorin said gruffly.

"For goodness sake, Thorin, show him the map," Gandalf urged.

"It is the legacy of my people," Thorin said, "it is mine to protect, as are its secrets."

"Save me from the stubbornness of Dwarves," Gandalf sighed and Aninth could relate to that statement. "Your pride will be your downfall. You stand here in the presence of one of the few people in Middle Earth who can read that map. Show it to Lord Elrond."

"You have to get past the parts you don't like, Thorin, or you'll never get to the parts you like," Aninth reminded him. "You may not like this part, but you will like it if we find that there is something useful hidden on the map."

There was a pause. Then Thorin reached into his vest and pulled out the map, standing from his position against one of the pillars as he did so. Balin protested, but Thorin brushed off the older Dwarf's words as he approached Elrond and handed him the map. And while he had done it, he certainly didn't look happy about it. Though, Aninth wasn't sure she had seen him fully happy once since meeting him.

Across from her, Aninth dimly noted a look of intrigue, confusion and wonder in Ygritte's eyes. It made her realize that the others did not know what she and Thorin had spoke of, what their private conversation had entailed. The Dragonkin woman was sure that Ygritte was absolutely bursting to know what exactly had happened between them.

Elrond unfolded it and examined it carefully. Then his eyes widened in recognition. "Erebor. What is your interest in this map?"

Thorin opened his mouth to respond, probably to tell him it was none of his business, if Aninth had to take a wild guess, but before he could even speak a word, Ygritte butted in.

"It's mainly academic," she said, rather quickly.

"Yes, exactly as my daughter said," Gandalf continued, "as you know, this sort of artifact sometimes contains hidden text."

Elrond turned, map in hand, and Thorin gave Gandalf a thankful look. When his gaze turned to Aninth, she gave him an I-told-you-so smile, something he didn't seem to appreciate as he immediately turned his head away from her.

"You still read Ancient Dwarvish, do you not?" Gandalf asked Elrond.

The Elf Lord held the map up to the moonlight streaming in through the open terrace and the ornately carved arches there. He spoke in Elvish, as though reading off the map, though that didn't make much sense to Aninth given that there was no Elvish written on the map. Gandalf, it seemed, did understand.

"Moon runes?" Gandalf said, "of course. An easy thing to miss."

"Well, in this case, that is true," Elrond said, "moon runes can only be read by the light of a moon of the same shape and season as the day on which they were written."

Aninth suppressed a groan. Of course. What hope did they have that they would just happen to have decided to go on this quest, gathered the correct people and ended up in a place they had not intended on going and have this all coincide perfectly with a day on which the hidden runes on a map — that a Wizard had been keeping for safety, no less — were written and still yet be in the company of a person who could read the map.

They would have to be very, very lucky. 

In fact, they might just need to have all the luck in the world.

"Can you read them?" Thorin asked hesitantly.

Elrond gave them all a smirk and turned his back to them once more, walking away from them. They all followed after him, believing there to be some kind of answer hidden in that smirk. Lord Elrond lead them through Rivendell until they reached a lower cliff beneath one of the waterfalls in the city. At the edge, a small table made entirely of a translucent white crystal seemed to be growing out of the rock.

"These runes were written on a Midsummer's Eve by the light of a crescent moon nearly two hundred years ago," Elrond explained as he approached the table and set the map down upon it. "It would seem you were meant to come to Rivendell. Fate is with you, Thorin Oakenshield. The same moon shines upon us tonight."

Aninth's jaw dropped. "You are joking."

"I am not, daughter of Alio," Elrond answered.

The clouds cleared, revealing a crescent moon. It's beams reached towards them and hit the crystal table, causing it to glow. The moonlight filled the crystal with its light, and as it did, bright runes shone through the map. Everyone took a step closer.

"Stand by the gray stone when the thrush knocks and the setting sun with the last light of Durin's Day will shine upon the keyhole," Elrond read.

"Durin's Day?" Bilbo asked.

"It is the start of the Dwarves' new year, when the last moon of autumn and the first sun of winter appear in the sky together," Gandalf answered.

"This is ill news," Thorin said, "summer is passing. Durin's Day will soon be upon us."

"We still have time," Balin assured him.

"Time? For what?" Bilbo asked.

"To find the entrance," Balin explained. "We have to be standing in exactly the right spot at exactly the right time. Then, and only then, can the door be opened."

"If we fall behind schedule, I will gladly take someone ahead. We can find the door and open it, then wait for the others to catch up," Aninth offered. "I may not seem it, but I am capable of travelling very fast."

"You will not need to do that, lass," Balin said, "we can make it."

"So this is your purpose, to enter the mountain?" Elrond questioned.

"What of it?" Thorin asked.

"There are some who would not deem it wise," Elrond answered, handing the map back. Thorin took it back sharply.

"What do you mean?" Gandalf asked.

"You are not the only guardian to stand watch over Middle Earth," Elrond said simply, turning and walking away from them then.