14. The Moment

14.
The Moment

The Company's time in Rivendell was one of relaxation

The Company's time in Rivendell was one of relaxation. Of course, they did have a quest to complete and a limited amount of time to do so, but inside of the Elven city, inside of Rivendell, time seemed to slow down around them. It felt like they had all the time in the world.

Aninth, for one was grateful for this. Not only did it give her time to heal, but time to relax and unwind. It had been a very long time since she'd had a place where she didn't have to worry about moving, about scavenging for money, food, other necessities. It had been a long time since she'd had a place where she was accepted and welcomed. Where she had connections.

It made her think of her parents often. She had been young when they passed, and it had been a long time since then. Before they had died was the last time that Aninth had a home, a place where she belonged. A family. Friends. Since losing not only her parents but her entire people, she'd had only one constant companion. Her dragon. Ryvniss. And while he was a great companion and friend, it did get lonely with only the two of them.

One afternoon while wandering around Rivendell by herself, Aninth found a small stone bridge, secluded near a small fountain and many trees. It crossed the small break in the rock beneath her feet, too big to step across, and just barely big enough to make the jump across. From where she stood, Aninth could see Rivendell from an angle that was almost behind, but also the side.

Settling down on the bridge with her legs hanging over the side, Aninth breathed in the clean air, letting her eyes drift closed as she let the magic in the air wash over her. Her father had told her so many stories of Rivendell and the Elves... there had been a time when he could do nothing but tell stories. Somehow, it was both one of the best times of Aninth's life and the worst. Her father's stories were always her favourite thing, but the paleness of his face despite the heat that radiated off of him... Seeing Khalne, her father's companion, curled up at the foot of the bed, looking just as sick... Those were the memories that haunted her.

"Where is your companion?" a deep voice questioned.

"He is hunting," she answered without looking. She knew who it was. "We do not spend every moment together, though you might think otherwise."

There was a scoff. The sound of dirt, twigs and leaves crunching under a heavy foot. Aninth turned and saw Thorin standing a few feet from the edge of the bridge, looking around with uncertainty. A smile spread across her face.

"He is not nearby," Aninth said, "he cannot find the food he needs within Rivendell. Lord Elrond was not lying when he said that creatures do not stray near here often."

"I figured you could not bear to be apart," Thorin snarled.

"If my companion needs sustenance, I cannot deny him," Aninth answered. Thorin scoffed and out of the corner of her eye, she saw him turn away. "You knew my mother, did you know that?"