09. Running

09.
Running

In what had to be one of the most intense escapes of Aninth's life, Radagast got back on his rabbit-drawn sled and sped off in one direction while the Company took off in the other direction

In what had to be one of the most intense escapes of Aninth's life, Radagast got back on his rabbit-drawn sled and sped off in one direction while the Company took off in the other direction. The howls of the Wargs echoed against her ears as she ran alongside the others, Radagast's distant taunts following each howl.

Aninth knew she could get away very easily. She could just jump on Ryvniss' back and fly away and be but a speck in the distance by the time the Orcs realized what happened but it wasn't that easy when she wasn't on her own. If she abandoned the Company, she knew their impression of her would never change.

They stopped behind a large rock, everyone crowding close together as Gandalf poked his head around it to see if the coast was clear. "Come on," he urged them.

Everyone quickly darted out, following carefully behind Gandalf as he lead the way across the landscape. Aninth was thankful that there were many large rock outcroppings dotted across the open hills that would make perfect hiding spots.

Dashing around a large boulder and partially up a hill, everyone came to a dead stop as they saw Radagast and his sled in front of them. The Orc pack was not far behind them. No one moved as they passed, all wondering if they would go unseen.

"Stay together," Gandalf reminded them as the Orcs passed them and they remained unseen.

"Move!" Thorin urged.

They were moving once again, and though she followed behind Thorin and Gandalf (whichever one was in the lead), Aninth took a moment to wonder if either of them truly knew where they were going. She didn't know what was on the other side of this hilly landscape they'd found themselves in. She didn't know where they were running to. All she could do was hope someone did.

Aninth leaned her shoulder against the latest rock they were hiding behind and took deep breaths as she steadied both her breathing and her heart rate.

"Ori, no! Get back!" Thorin exclaimed, grabbing ahold of the younger Dwarf's clothes and yanking him back behind the rock as Orcs passed along the crest of the hill in front of them.

"All of you, come on, quickly," Gandalf urged, shuffling everyone along one by one while he and Thorin remained stationary, watching everyone carefully.

"Where are you leading us?" she heard Thorin question Gandalf as she ran ahead with the group. She never heard Gandalf's answer.

As they ran forward the way that Gandalf had urged them, the entire pack ran right in front of them, Radagast in the lead with his rabbits. Aninth wished that there was some kind of way to communicate with Radagast where they were going so their paths would stop crossing.

Nevertheless, the Company all quickly flattened themselves against the nearest rock outcropping. There was a moment of calm, before the distinct growling of a Warg sounded from above them. Aninth bit her lip to stop the curse from falling from her tongue.