10. The Hidden Valley

10.
The Hidden Valley

The path they followed was narrow, and it didn't take Aninth very long to figure out why Dwalin hadn't been able to see where it lead

The path they followed was narrow, and it didn't take Aninth very long to figure out why Dwalin hadn't been able to see where it lead. Not only was it a tight squeeze, but the ever so slight weave obscured the end of the path from sight until you were almost completely through.

Her hand was warm and slightly sticky where she held it on her side. The clothes on her shoulder were in much the same condition, only they were not stained with her blood, but that of Ryvniss. Aninth only hoped that the path would soon end and they would arrive at their destination, not only so the pain would end, but so they could both have their wounds patched up.

Soon enough, the path did open up, widening to a small cliff face they all piled onto, staring in astonishment at the sight that was now before them.

Almost carved into the mountainside, almost hidden completely, was what Aninth knew to be an Elven city. And not just any, but that of Rivendell. She had dreamed of coming to this place, of accidentally spotting it from overhead and dropping down to say hello to the Elves, of possibly learning some information about her kin, about the kind of information her father had come here for.

Something thrummed through her veins, the pain fading slightly. It felt... well, it felt almost like magic flowing through her veins. Foreign magic, strange. Nothing like what she was used to. But magical and enchanting all the same.

"The Valley of Imladris," Gandalf said behind them. "In the common tongue, it's known by another name."

"Rivendell," Bilbo said softly.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" Ygritte said from somewhere behind Aninth.

"Truly," Bilbo replied.

"Here lies the Last Homely House East of the Sea," Gandalf continued.

Thorin turned and approached Gandalf as Aninth tore her eyes away from Rivendell and towards them. "This was your plan all along," he accused, "to seek refuge with our enemy."

"You have no enemies here, Thorin Oakenshield," Gandalf said, "the only ill will to be found in this valley is that which you bring yourself."

"You think the Elves will give our quest their blessing?" Thorin questioned, "they will try to stop us."

"Of course they will," Gandalf answered easily, "but we have questions that need to be answered."

Aninth swallowed, shifting her hand and tightening it around her wound. "Besides, I have a wound that needs to be treated. And as much as I have confidence in your ability to bandage a wound on a person, I do very much doubt your ability to bandage the wound on my companion. But the Elves here knew my father and his companion, so they will be able to help us."

"Yes," Gandalf agreed, "and if we are to be successful, this will need to be handled with tact. And respect. And no small degree of charm. Which is why you will leave the talking to me."