iii

"Did you get them?" Alec asked. Jace nodded and held out the two golden bands.

"One for you, one for me." Jace said. Alec took one and attempted to slide it on his finger.

"It might be better to put it on a chain. Less risk of it getting stuck." Jace said. Alec nodded and pocketed the ring.

"So when do you leave?" Alec asked.

"3 days. But it depends on when Clary comes back." Jace said.

"Do we know how these work?" Alec asked, pulling the ring out of his pocket and looking at it closely.

"I think if you're touching and you think at the other person then it works?" Jace said. Alec nodded.

"So like this?" Alec's voice echoed in Jace's head.

"Yeah. Like this." Jace thought, smirking. Isabelle walked in.

"Did you figure the rings out?" Isabelle asked.

"Yeah." Alec said.

"Well that's good. It means we're one step closer to saving Clary." Isabelle said.

"Speaking of, we still need a weapon that can separate them." Jace said.

"Magnus was saying that the Iron Sisters might have something." Isabelle said.

"Do we have a backup? In case they don't have anything?" Jace asked.

"We'll figure it out. The Iron Sisters can help us with something. Even if it isn't making a blade." Isabelle said smiling.

"Don't the Iron Sisters work exclusively with adamas?" Alec asked.

"I think so. But they might be able to craft something powerful enough to separate Clary and Sebastian." Isabelle said.

"Okay. We can do that after Clary comes to get Jace." Alec said. Jace nodded and looked at Alec.

"When is she coming to get you?" Isabelle asked.

"3 days. At least that's what she said." Jace said.

"Okay. We have 3 days left and then we can find a weapon." Isabelle said. Jace nodded and sat in an empty chair.

"What's the matter Jace?" Alec asked.

"It doesn't seem real. We're getting Clary back. We're so close to getting her back!" Jace said. Isabelle smiled.

"It's real. We're gonna get her back. We're gonna bring her home." Isabelle said. Jace smiled and ran a hand through his hair as Alec's phone beeped.

"That's Magnus. I'm headed over to his place. I'll be back later." Alec said, before pocketing his phone and walking away. Isabelle smiled.

"I'm gonna go see what I can find on weapons that can separate them." Isabelle said. She hugged Jace tightly before walking away.

Jace got up and walked to his room. He shut the door and laid back before slowly falling asleep.

+++

Clary walked into his room and smiled.

"You awake?" She asked shyly.

"I am now." Jace said. Clary looked at him.

"I'm just kidding. I can't sleep either." Jace said. Clary started playing with the sleeve of her sweater and Jace smiled.

"Come here." He said gently. Clary walked over and laid beside him on the bed.

"Are you okay?" Clary asked, resting her head on his chest.