vii

"What are we doing today?" Clary asked, grabbing her mug of coffee.

"You know exactly what we're doing." Sebastian said.

"My goodness, someone is grumpy." Clary said. Sebastian rolled his eyes and Clary sighed.

"What's the matter?" She asked.

"If having Jace here is distracting you from what we're supposed to do, then I'll send him back to New York and keep you chained to the apartment." Sebastian threatened.

"A distraction? Are you kidding? He isn't!" Clary said.

"Sure. What exactly did you two do last night?" Sebastian asked.

"I couldn't sleep. He read to me. Nothing happened." Clary snapped. Sebastian walked towards her, pinning her to the counter.

"If you are lying-"

"I'm not!" Clary said.

"If you are. You're going to regret it baby sister." Sebastian hissed.

"What are you going to do? You can't hurt me." Clary said.

"You'd be surprised." Sebastian said softly.

"Leave me alone." Clary said.

"What's going on in here?"

Sebastian whipped around and saw Jace standing near the table. He pushed Clary into the counter once before storming up to his room. Clary watched him go before looking at Jace.

"Would you like to tell me what that was about?" Jace asked. Clary ran a hand through her red curls.

"No. I'm okay." She said.

"Okay, but what's he so upset about?" Jace asked.

"I don't want to talk about it anymore." Clary said.

"Did he hurt you?"

"Just leave it Jace! I said I don't want to talk about it!" Clary shouted. Jace raised an eyebrow and Clary sighed.

"It's nothing. I'm fine. Just... drop it." She said. She took a drink of her coffee and set the mug down.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to upset you." Jace said.

"You didn't. I just don't want to talk about it." Clary said shortly.

"Okay." Jace said. Clary poured another cup of coffee and Jace wrapped his arms around her waist.

"So, what are we doing today?" Jace asked.

"We have a thing to do. Sebastian wouldn't explain it. He'll probably tell me later." Clary said. Jace pressed a kiss to her cheek.

"Take a deep breath Clare, take a minute to destress. Sebastian will tell you." Jace said.

"He thinks you're distracting me." Clary said.

"Distracting you from what?" Jace asked.

"What we came to do." Clary said.

"What is that?" Jace asked.

"It's nothing. He just thinks you're distracting me. He said he'd send you back and keep me chained to the apartment." Clary said.

"Well, I'll have to try not to distract you." Jace said, kissing along her jaw. Clary smiled.

"I think this is what he's talking about." Clary said, giggling.

"It couldn't possibly be." Jace said smiling. He pressed a kiss to the spot on her neck under her jaw and Clary shivered.