xiv

"Wait. Why?" Zoe asked.

"The Institutes are no longer a safe place. We have to go to Idris where the wards will protect us. Consuls orders." Alec said.

"And if we don't go?" Someone asked.

"Then you're asking for death if Sebastian comes looking for us." Alec said. Several Shadowhunters turned to look at Clary.

"Why don't we fight? He's just another Shadowhunter! He can be killed just like the rest of us!" Someone yelled.

"He's not a normal Shadowhunter. He has demon blood. Only an angelic weapon can be used to kill him. And the effects of the Infernal Cup can't be reversed. Sebastian will turn everyone or kill them. There will be no survivors. If you'd like to die, be my guest. But I'm not going to sit around and watch the massacre." Clary said in a monotonous voice. Zoe looked at her with wide eyes before turning back to Alec.

"So when do we leave?" She asked.

"As soon as possible. The Consul wants everyone out of the Institutes by the end of the week." Alec said.

"But there can't possibly be enough room in Idris for everyone, can there?" Isabelle asked. Alec looked at her.

"There's nowhere else to go. There has to be enough room." Alec said. There was a loud murmur as Shadowhunters whispered amongst themselves.

"We need to have this Institute empty by Friday. I suggest you go start packing. Dismissed." Alec said. Different Shadowhunters started talking to each other and Zoe turned to Clary.

"So what do we do about training?" Clary asked. Zoe sighed.

"I don't know. We can't exactly stop. But I'll talk to Alec." Zoe said. She squeezed Clary's hand before walking towards Alec. Jace walked towards her and she sighed.

"I can't believe this is happening." Clary said. Jace nodded.

"It sucks, but if it's going to keep us safe, then I'm all for it." Jace said.

"It's not that I don't want to go to Alicante but it's because my brother is being a murderous lunatic again." Clary said, running a hand through her hair.

Jace didn't say anything but he pulled her into a hug and hugged her tightly.

"Also, what's stopping him from coming to Idris?" Clary asked.

"I couldn't tell you. We'll have bigger numbers I guess." Jace said. Clary sighed.

"I'm so sick of this." Clary groaned. Jace squeezed her tighter against him.

"I know baby. I know." Jace said. Zoe came and tapped Clary on the shoulder.

"Clary, I talked to Alec. He said there's no reason to stop the training. We'll just need to find a spot." Zoe said. Clary nodded and squeezed Jace's hand before walking out of the room.

"Is she okay?" Zoe asked. Jace sighed.

"I don't think so."

+++

"I have to go to Idris. Friday. I've got no choice. Simon, Sebastian is killing Shadowhunters or he's turning them into soulless monsters. Do you really want me to end up like that? Look, we won't be gone for very long. I'm going to find a way to talk to you. Don't worry." Clary looked up and saw Isabelle standing in the doorway.

"Simon I'm going to have to call you back. Okay. I'll see you later." Clary hung up and Isabelle walked over as Clary ran a hand through her hair.

"I know it's hard-"

"Which part is hard. Leaving my best friend in New York while we hide? Or the fact that my big brother is killing Shadowhunters. Which part is hard?" Clary asked. Isabelle was silent.

"I know it's hard Isabelle. It's a nightmare. I got kidnaped. I'm his sister. I was possessed and under his control. None of this is easy." Clary said.

"I'm sorry." Isabelle said.

"Don't apologize. It's fine." Clary said. She stood up and hugged Isabelle.

"I know this is hard for you too. But we can lean on each other. All of us. We need to stick together because this is going to be the hardest thing ever." Clary said.

"Leaving me out I see."

Clary and Isabelle looked at the doorway and saw Zoe leaning on the doorframe.

"Of course not Zo." Clary said, extending a hand out to Zoe.

Zoe smiled and ran into the room, grabbing Clary's hand and joining the hug.

"So this is really happening." Zoe said. Clary looked at her.

"What's really happening?"

"Your brother is trying to take over the world." Zoe said. Clary nodded.

"Yeah. It's really happening."

"But we're not going to let him." Isabelle said. Zoe smiled and nodded.

"We can fight this Clar. He's not going to win this." Zoe said. Clary smiled sadly.

"He already has." Clary said.

"What do you mean? No he hasn't." Zoe said.

"We're running and hiding. What's worse is that we're all going to the same spot. We're a bigger, easier target. He's already won." Clary said. Zoe and Isabelle shared a look but didn't say anything.

"Everything is gonna be fine. We're regrouping. We're not hiding." Isabelle said.

"No. We're hiding. Sebastian is only getting stronger. Isabelle, we're hiding." Zoe said.

"Zoe. Not helping." Isabelle said.

"Iz, she's right. We're hiding. And I guess it's better than getting killed but it's still hiding." Clary said. Isabelle sighed.

"He's not going to win this. I promise."

+++

"Clary, can you open a Portal?" Alec asked.

Clary nodded and crouched by the wall of the Institute. She pressed her stele to the wall and started to draw. Once the Portal was complete, she stepped back and Shadowhunters slowly started going through.

"Fray."

Clary turned and saw Simon standing against the wall. She smiled and ran towards him, hugging him tightly.

"I never realized there were so many of you guys in New York." Simon said. Clary nodded.

"Please stay safe." Clary pleaded.

"What? Sebastian's after you Fray, not me. You're the one who needs to stay safe." Simon said.

"Yeah well, you need to stay safe too. Stay with Jordan and Maia. Keep each other safe. I don't want to lose you too." Clary said, her eyes welling up with tears. Simon hugged her tightly and sighed. 

"I'll stay safe if you stay safe." Simon said.

"I will. I promise. I'm on the island of Shadowhunters. It's impossible to not stay safe." Clary said smiling. Jace came towards her and put a hand on her shoulder.

"We gotta go." He said softly. Clary turned to Simon.

"Do you want to say bye to Iz?" Clary asked. Simon smiled.

"Already got that covered."

She hugged him one more time.

"I'll see you later Simon." She said sadly.

"See ya Fray." Simon said. Clary waved and grabbed Jace's hand before walking towards to Portal.

"Jace!" Simon called. Jace turned back to face Simon.

"Keep her safe okay?" Simon said. Jace walked over to him.

"I wouldn't have it any other way." Jace said. Simon nodded and Jace smiled before turning and walking through the Portal with Clary.