xxi

Clary landed hard in the snow. She stood and saw Jace a few feet away from here. There were 50 other people scattered around the field. Clary walked over to Jace and squeezed his hand.

"It's okay Clar." Jace said.

"Just so you know, the heavenly fire, it seems to act up when I get upset. If we bump into my brother, just... start saying things that might upset me." Clary said.

"I don't think it'll come to that. It's going to be okay." Jace said.

"It's not. These people are going to die." Clary whispered. Jace sighed.

"They're dying trying to protect their people. It's the noblest way to die." Jace said softly.

"It's a waste of life. These people-"

Clary was cut off by a blood curdling scream. She turned saw a woman with a blade sticking out of her back. Jace kissed her quickly before running off. Clary looked around and saw almost every Shadowhunter in battle with a red armoured soldier. She heard someone chuckle behind her and she shivered.

"There you are baby sister."

Clary spun around and came face to face with her brother.

"Sebastian," She said. "What are you doing here?"

"It really is none of your business." Sebastian said.

"It's my business if you're planning on killing innocent Shadowhunters." Clary said. Sebastian laughed coldly.

"Oh baby sister. You are so incredibly naive, it's almost shocking." Sebastian said. He stepped closer and gently ran his blade down Clary's cheek. She tensed up as the cold metal touched her face.

"Don't touch me." Clary snapped. Sebastian chuckled and lowered the blade.

"Where's Angel Boy? Did he stay behind?" Sebastian asked.

"You wish." Clary hissed. Sebastian took her face in his hand and smiled.

"It's a shame you don't want to come willingly." He said.

"She's not going anywhere." Jace said. Sebastian turned and saw Jace standing behind him.

"And there he is! Angel Boy has come to save his princess. Unfortunately, your sword isn't going to do any damage. Only heavenly fire can hurt me." Sebastian said.

"What a sad brag." Jace said. Sebastian glared at Jace and Jace looked at Clary. She looked down at her feet, and back up at Jace. She very subtly started pulling her boots off.

"You know what, actually, you can do whatever you want with Clary. I don't want her." Jace said. Clary ignored the pain in her chest and she felt her feet starting to heat up.

"Really? After months of searching and fighting to be together, you're throwing her aside?" Sebastian asked.

"Yeah. I don't need her. She's holding me back." Jace said.

Clary felt her hands heat up and she gripped her sword, feeling it heat up. She waited a moment before stabbing Sebastian in the back. He stumbled forward and turned to glare at Clary. He pulled the sword out of his back and threw it to the ground, turning to Clary.

"Good try baby sister. But not quite hot enough." Sebastian said, getting closer. Sebastian twirled the ring on his finger and the earth split open.

"Now, I have some personal matters to attend to. I will be back in two days to either collect the two of you, or destroy the Nephilim." Sebastian said. He jumped into the chasm and the earth closed up again.