78

The next time James and Natalia sparred together, everything escalated like a rocket shot off. There was a spark in Natalia’s eyes and her hands were all over him with playful purpose like she wouldn’t have before, but she remained too quick for him to grab. He grinned at her. She was learning.

But he was fast too, and when she danced around him and grabbed his butt, he laughed out loud and whirled around, snatching her up by the wrists, pulling her close to him roughly. She smirked at him and slipped her hands out of his, then reached up and grabbed the straps around his shoulders, jerking him down to her and pressing her mouth to his.

“You’re good at this,” James said into her mouth as they kissed and she wrapped her arms around his waist tightly.

“What, making out wasn’t part of the Winter Soldier’s training? I never would have guessed,” Natalia muttered playfully. James grinned and took her shoulders and pushed her back fast into the wall, following her, just enough to jar her but not enough to hurt her, and she laughed out loud again. They were up against each other, hands and mouths everywhere, talking softly and laughing like teenagers.

“When else can I see you?” Natalia asked breathlessly through each kiss he gave her. Her hands were in his hair and she moved them down to cup his face. He frowned.

“Get me away from my handlers and I’m all yours,” he said.

“There’s no way they watch you all the time,” Natalia replied, kissing him again.

“I can’t even get a damn shower to myself, Nat,” he admitted begrudgingly and she stopped kissing him, stunned and concerned, to stare into his eyes. Her face was inches from his.

“You’re kidding,” she said and he shook his head.

“They’re only gone now to give you some space,” he told her. Natalia studied his face.

“That’s… Awful,” she said. “Why do they do that?” James really didn’t know.

“I’m dangerous,” he said. “I’m… I’m volatile?”

“That doesn’t make any sense,” she said.

“Maybe…,” James said, frowning. It hurt to think. “Maybe I’ve tried to escape before,” he said and it really hit him now, more than ever before, more even than when he studied the bars of his cell or read his personal file, that he was a captive. He was a prisoner. “I wouldn’t remember.” He felt Natalia wrap her arms around him tightly, squeezing him, her head on his metal shoulder, and he hugged her back gently, lost in his thoughts. That was it, that was why he was under near-constant watch. He was a prisoner.

“Hey, Natalia,” James said quietly as they hugged.

“Mhmm,” she replied and squeezed him again. He rested his chin on her head and sighed.

“Thank you,” he whispered and she tilted her head up and kissed him on the face gently.

“Of course, James,” she whispered back.

With this chapter, Run has hit 100,000 words!! Thank you again for reading, this is such a huge milestone and I'm really glad to have the opportunity to share with you. :) -BB