nine | grateful

m a x

grace officially had a baby bump. it was crazy how fast the time went by.

after talking to grace, we walked into the kitchen where my parents were cooking. when they saw grace, they smiled warmly. i smiled too, seeing that they approved of her. "grace! it's so nice to see you darling!" my mum exclaimed as she ran over and hugged her tightly. my dad just smiled at her again then walked over to me. soon, my dad and i talked as grace and my mum had a mellow conversation. i'd look over and see them smiling or laughing while mum touched the bump grace had.

for some odd reason, i felt proud.

soon enough, harvey came running into kitchen shouting. "grace! my favorite person!" he exclaimed as he pulled her into a tight hug and smiled at her baby belly. she smiled back as they talked. my parents went back to cooking and i walked over to harvey and grace. as i approached i overheard their conversation.

"she did? i thought you were really close," harvey replied to whatever grace had said. "me too. it's actually really hard to think about," she said, looking away for a moment then back at him.

harvey started to speak before i cut in. "hey," i said. "oh hey," harvey replied. grace smiled at me. i put my arm around her, seeing as though we were posing as a couple in front of my parents. harvey laughed at my gesture, causing grace to giggle.

her giggling's cute.

"what?" i asked, looking at them. they just shook their heads and smiled. we all then had a conversation on the babies.

babies. two. dos. twins.

"i'm going to be the best uncle ever!" harvey excitedly said. grace nodded. "it'll surely never be a dull moment with uncle harvey," she said with a smile. "calm down guys. i'm the dad here," i jokingly replied. grace shifted slightly as harvey dramatically rolled his eyes. "yeah yeah, but i'm the uncle, which means i'm still important." he said, looking at grace.

she wasn't smiling. "max can we talk alone?" she asked. i nodded worriedly. oh god, this is never good. "i'll go get something to drink," harvey said, walking away.

i then led grace into the back garden to talk. once i closed the door, i looked at her expectantly. she sighed. "i need you to promise me something," she said, looking up at the stars. "anything," i replied.

she then looked at me unmoved. "max. i don't want you to promise me something you can't actually keep okay?" she said, looking into my eyes as if she was searching for something. i took her hand. "i'd promise you anything," i said once more, this time a little more sincere and slow.

she breathed out before talking again. "promise me that you'll actually be there. i don't want a relationship where you're not there. i don't want to be alone while you're partying or knocking up other girls. i want us to actually have a good relationship and to be there for eachother." she said at once.

i was a little shocked she thought i wouldn't be there. my past seemed to be making a huge mark on me. it labeled me without allowing someone to actually get to know me. i hated it.

i nodded. "i promise you, grace. i promise that i'll be an amazing dad and that i'll be there for not only the babies, but also for you," i said sincerely. my words were truthful. i didn't want anyone else. i wanted grace. only grace.

she smiled a little. "thank you," she said, smiling at me. i smiled back. "anything for you grace," i replied, looking into her eyes. she looked into mine then glanced down at my lips. we exchanged these gestures for a few short moments before i leaned into her and kissed her soft, gentle lips again.

sparks flew throughout my body. i felt warm and happy, which is something only grace's touch had ever given me. something was there, something different. why was grace a loner? why was she labeled as an outcast, a freak, or a nerd. she wasn't any of those things and certainly didn't deserve to be.

"guys. dinner's rea-" harvey suddenly said, walking outside. when he saw us his words cut off. we pulled away. "oh. i'm sorry.." he said, trying not to laugh. grace had already started though. she laughed, causing harvey to laugh, causing me to laugh.

-

once inside and seated, we all passed food around, placing it onto our plates, and starting to eat. dad was at the end of the table, grace was in the middle of harvey and i, as tilly sat beside leo on the opposite side of us, and mum sat at the other end of the table.

"this is great mum," i said, smiling at her. grace nodded, delicately eating her food as harvey scarfed his down. i wanted to roll my eyes so much. "thank you dear," she replied, smiling at us.

-

after dinner and a bit of talking, grace had to go. harvey said goodbye with a hug at the door, and i walked her to her car. "thank you for coming," i said to her as she got into her car and sat there. she smiled at me. "i had a really good time max. thanks for inviting me," she replied happily.

i smiled along with her. we said our final goodbyes and i shut her car door for her. i then watched her drive away and went back inside to see harvey standing at the doorway with a smile.

"what are you so happy about?" i asked with a small laugh. "i'm just glad you didn't knock up a snob," he said laughing and walking away. in that moment, i was grateful it was grace just like harvey was.