four | thank you

g r a c e
*five weeks later*

"grace? where are you going?" my mum asked me as i was heading out the door. "oh. i'm going over to mel's." i replied, referring to my only friend. mel has been there for me ever since primary school.

"oh. tell her hi for me!" my mum called behind me. "yes'm love you!" i replied, shutting the door. i ran and quickly got into my car.

as i drove i realized how crazy this all was. i was about eight or nine weeks around and was headed to my first appointment. i'm so nervous. i still haven't shown yet, thank god! when i start, it'll be total chaos.

i'm meeting max at the office and honestly am nervous about that too. max and i still haven't really been open to eachother.

we rarely text and don't acknowledge eachother in public or in private really. the most i'll get from him is a small smile or a simple 'hey'.

i don't know how to talk to him. it is max mills after all.

-

i reached the office and sat there in the non-cranked car for a few seconds, thinking about all of this. i'm elated yet scared to death at the same time. how could such a feeling exist?

inside, i signed in and sat down, waiting for max. i got there early, so i knew he wasn't late. after a few minutes he the door opened to the one and only max mills, standing there, looking for me. i waved a little then got up and gave him a side hug.

"hey," he said. "am i late?" he asked, worriedly. at least he cares.

i laughed a little. "no, you're not." he sighed with relief.

as he sat beside me, he watched a woman take her little newborn into the back with one of the nurses. i smiled a little.

-

"ms. simon?" a nurse called out, looking around.

i got up with max and we walked into the back. i was so nervous. i'm about to see max and i's baby. this is crazy.

"the doctor will be with you shortly," the nurse said, leaving the room she'd lead us to. max and i nodded and sat down.

a few minutes later, the doctor walked in with a smile.

"helloooo...ms. simon and...well who's this?" he asked with a jolly tone.

"max. max mills," max said, shaking the doctor's hand.

"oh. are you two not married?" the doctor asked.

we shook our heads and left it at that.

"right, well, i'm doctor jenkins. i'm happy to be seeing you today ms. simon," he said, gesturing me to get onto the table and lay down.

i laid down and bit my lip, excited yet nervous. i didn't expect it, but max walked up beside me and squeezed my hand gently.

i looked up at him and he smiled down at me then looked over to the screen awaiting the sonogram.

doctor jenkins pulled my shirt up so my belly was showing and warned me," you're going to feel a cold gel on your stomach now." i nodded and he squirted the gel onto my stomach. i flinched a little. "oh. wow," i said with a small laugh. doctor jenkins laughed.

"told ya," he said, wiping off his gloves and grabbing the tool used to look inside my belly.

oh my god. oh my god. oh my god.

max held my hand a little tighter and looked at the screen along with me. as doctor jenkins moved it across my stomach. a small figure showed up on the screen. this is it. that's our baby.

i looked over at max smiling.

"oh.." doctor jenkins said aloud. worry filled my head suddenly. max quickly looked over obviously worried too. "what is it?" max asked a little impatiently.

"well it seems that there's..two babies in here," doctor jenkins said with a smile.

oh. my. freaking. god.

twins.

i looked over at max's gaped face and looked back at the screen along with him. after a few seconds i looked back at him to see what his emotions showed and saw a few tears leaking with a smile plastered to his face.

this is so surreal. how is this happening?

m a x

i'm going to be a dad. to twins. just like me and harvey, except i have no clue what the gender is. i'm so excited. this is amazing.

after showing us the babies for a few minutes, doctor jenkins cleaned grace up, went over a few things, then left us to ourselves to leave.

i'd been crying. at this point, i didn't even care. i was just so excited and happy. no one understands how amazing this is.

"ready to go?" i asked grace, getting up. she nodded and got up then followed me out of the room and outside.

"wanna go to the ice cream parlor? it's one of my favorite places," i asked her, needing a better connection.

she smiled and agreed.

-

once at the parlor, we sat down in a booth and looked at the menu on the wall.

"what'll you take?" i asked her, about to order for us.

"um...i think i'll have a double scoop of the salted caramel," she said smiling at me. i nodded and got up, ordering one double scoop of salted caramel and a single scoop of lemon sorbet.

once i sat down, we ate and talked.

"how are we going to tell our parents?" she asked, a little frightened. i forgot her parents are like they are. they're posh and holy. great combination.

i knew my parents wouldn't mind as much, but they'd have a small fit about it.

"maybe we could call a family dinner soon?" i replied, thinking about it.

she nodded.

"that's perfect! can it be within the next week by any chance? i'm going to start showing soon.." she said, looking down, ashamed.

"hey. of course it can and don't worry or be ashamed grace. we're going to get through this. i promise okay?" i said, reassuring her. she smiled and nodded. yay it worked.

after a few silent moments slowly passed, she asked, "how does lemon flavored ice cream taste?" i laughed and handed it to her while she tried it and made an unamused, sour face.

"well..it's definitely not for me.." she said, handing it back and shaking her head.

i laughed at her reaction.

-

after we finished, grace and i walked out and i walked her to her car. "thank you for everything..including the amazing ice cream," she said. i smiled.

"my pleasure. and thank you too, for wanting me to come and be a part of our babies." i replied, still happy.

our babies.