Chapter Twenty Five

Anya blinked twice at me, "Whom?"

"Rion..." I repeated.

"What? What did he do? What are you talking about?"

Did she really forget the reason why she came by me? I was starting to believe that she did. Anya was bare feet with her legs lapped in my couch as if she lived here. She gave me a clueless look while I squinted my eyes at her.

"What?" She repeated.

"Anya!"

"Hold up, you got any chips? I was looking in your cupboards but only saw wafers and some other healthy snack. I don't do Wheat Thins."

Ugh! Why did I get out of bed. "It has an open bag chips in the fridge. I put it there because of ants." I rolled my eyes in annoyance.

"Ha! I'm kidding kiddo!" She patted my leg. "I just wanted you to get all feisty. You really need to lighten up."

"This is serious."

"I know that hun." Anya got up from the couch and headed straight to the fridge. She took out the bag of chips and reversed her steps for a cup from the cupboard to throw out some juice.

I rubbed my temples. I was one step closer to going back to my room and lock the door forever. Anya was busy filling her gut while I was here hurt and depressed from something harsh Rion said to me. Deep down inside I wanted to just disappear from everything and be with my brother.

"So... What did Rion say?" She said crunching on a stack of chips she threw in her mouth.

Anya took a seat in the couch and flipped the switch off on the television. She was all ears now.

I shrugged. "He said that I have daddy issues and you were only my friend because you felt sorry for me."

"What? He's a complete wad. An ass. None of that is true Mals." Anya covered one of my hands with hers.

It felt reassuring to know that she didn't feel that way, and Rion was just being mean.

"Am I annoying?" I asked in a whisper.

I held my head down because I was bracing for a disappointing response. Since we met, Anya had been my rock; she took me places I needed to go and picked me up when necessary. My complaints were also obvious and most of the times she was the only one I could have vented to.

"Of course not. You can be a bit..." She scrounged her face, "A bit EXTRA with the attitude sometimes, but I guess that's you."

"Oh..." I had no words. She said I was extra, but I don't think I had any. What bothered me or what I didn't like, I just made people know.

Anya pushed the bag of chips towards me, offering some but I didn't feel for any snacks. Actually, I had no appetite at all. My mind just kept replaying what Rion said to me on the beach. I waved my hand dismissing the snack.

"Do I seem like I have daddy issues?"

I could have sworn Anya averted her eyes the moment I asked the question. Was she deflecting?

"Uh... I don't know Mals. I'm not a psychologist or any doctor to know that. I don't know much about your past. Only what you told me. You seem normal." She shrugged and stuffed another set of chips in her mouth.

"Then why would he say that?"

"I don't know. You need to ask him."

"I'm not talking to that idiot ever again."

Why would she say that? I already had my wits about him and never liked him. Now that he insulted me and made my life a living hell, I've cut him off for good.