chapter 11

Chapter 11

-Lunar

            The flower pot in my hand seems to grow colder as I approach my old home in the car. Michael sat beside me with an expression I can’t read. It was really silent and I hate that because it enabled me to hear my thoughts. What will happen when I reach there? What if they decided to move, then I would have to go back in the dorms, back to the isolation and loneliness. “Ha,” a painful laughed seemed to escape from under my breath. If only it was a bad dream, a dream full with endless sorrows. At least I know that it will come to an end soon once I wake up and I’ll go back to my everyday life. I blinked away tears ashamed of the thoughts that seemed to control my mine. I know I changed and yes, I became stronger, but a challenge like this. Am I really strong enough? I felt eyes watching me, so I turned around to see Michael, but once I turned around the car stop. “We’re here,” the driver said. My mouth opened in shock and a sobbed slithered its way out. I froze as if I’ve been poison as my eyes got watery. Michael put his hand over mines and squeezed tightly. I balled my hands into a fist and blinked away the tears. Ha, how can I possibly forget, Michael’s here with me, I’m not alone. I looked at him and gave him a warm smile and with that I pulled away from his grip.

            I started to walk towards the door. With every step it felt as if my weight tripled. Soon, it became harder to breathe. When I reached the door step and tried to ring the bell my hand froze in midair. For a moment I stared into space as if I was in a daze, but then Michael ringed the doorbell for me. Once the door opened I got shot right down to earth with my body tensing up. Will it be mom or dad at that door? I wondered.

            “How may I help you,” an unfamiliar voice said from the door. I looked up and saw a man, maybe in his late thirties. He was a little tan with pale blue green eyes and straight brown hair that had little streaks of grey hair. Did they really move? “Um, we’re looking for Mr. and Mrs. Nordell,” Michael said from behind. “Oh in that case please come in,” the man said moving out of the way. As we followed him to the living room everything looked the same. The citrus orange walls with the amber red curtains and that ugly broken recliner chair that dad refused to throw out. In the bottom corner of a wall I saw a speck of blood. It was from the time my dad slapped me so hard I spitted up blood even though I told him that he was being really mean to me compared to Sun. I begged mom for help, but all she did was ignore me and went to prevent Sun from seeing this. At that time I was actually jealous of Sun, but I couldn’t hate her, so I decided to ignore the difference in ways we were treated by our parent after that day.

-Michael

In front of me Lunar had her hands balled up in a fist and she was trembling. I walked up to catch a glimpse of her face, but with one look I instantly stopped. Her eyes looked the way mines did when dad suddenly showed up at mom’s funeral. I was angry, full with rage, but Lunar, her eyes were a little different. There was a hint of fear.

When we reached the living room I sat down on the couch and Lunar automatically sat close to me, really close. “Excuse my manners, I forgot to introduce myself. My name is Anthony Miles, but you guys can call me Dr. Miles. Here’s some water,” Dr. Miles said placing the glasses of water on the coffee table. He sat directly across from us and looked Lunar straight in the eyes. “So, how may I help you,” he repeated himself. I was about to answer, but Lunar beat me to it. “My mom is a friend of Mrs. Nordell and since they hadn’t spoken in a while since Sun’s accident she became worried.” I was shocked to hear those words. Why would Lunar lie? I decided to stay quiet and just watch.