Jack Shephard- Fear (c)

In your wildest nightmares, you had never imagined that you would be stuck on an island after a plane crush with no foreseeable way to get out of this living hell. Everything now seemed hopeless, you and the other survivors were doing your best to prosper on the island but it was unlikely that anything good could ever come from it. Was it really worth setting up a society on a desert island, only to know that everyone and everything you loved was out there unattainable?

You had tried your hardest to keep these thoughts at bay, but whilst you walked through the overgrowth to take some more fresh water to those who had set up camp on the beach, it all became seemingly too much.

Instantly you dropped your rucksack onto the ground not worrying about the bottles of water that filled it and had been breaking your back. Your legs begun to shake as your breathing become unsteady along with your chest becoming tight. You had experienced this feeling before but never to such an intensity with no idea of how to relive the panic and concern you were feeling.

Your nails dug into your hip as you let your other hand rest on the closest tree so that you could support yourself and not collapse into the surrounding vegetation.

Every breath was laborious as they caught in your throat, not allowing your natural functions to take any control over your thoughts.

Not even when a hand rested on your shoulder did you get knocked out of the terrifying, life consuming thoughts. Only when they spoke did you actually realise someone was there.

"Y/N, are you okay?" Jack asked.

You weren't able to respond, but the tears that had begun to fall down your cheeks and the inability to function properly did clearly show that you weren't okay.

He put his rucksack down next to yours, resting his hands onto your shoulders, smiling at you to try and help calm you down.

"Hey, you are okay. You are going to be okay. Just breath," he smiled softly.

Jack talked you through what you were feelings helping calm down your fast breathing rate so that you could be a little calmer and have a natural breathing pattern once more.

"What happened?" He asked keeping his hands on your shoulders to keep you standing straight up.

"I'm scared," you whispered not certain how else to put how you felt. "Everything is going wrong. What if we never get off of this island? I am terrified."

"It's okay Y/N. We're all scared, but fear is natural. Fear is completely natural, even if it isn't pleasant," he explained.

You nodded your head, still continuing to take deep breaths so that you didn't fall back into the painful panic you had just been a part of.

"We all get scared. Believe me I have been succumbed by fear on more than one occasion. But the moment that I felt the most fear I was forced to make a choice. I would let the fear in let it take over let it do its thing. But only for five seconds. That's all I was going to give it."

It was reassuring to hear and you gave him the smallest of smiles finally feeling slightly better about what had occurred.

"Thank you, Jack," you whispered, finally moving your hand from away from the tree and your nails out of your hip.

"Life is hard Y/N, but you are stronger than what can be thrown at you. I promise you that we are all going to try to get off of this island, none of us want to stay. However whilst we are here, I assure you, we will try to be happy," he said softly, giving your shoulder a firm squeeze before picking up his rucksack and handing you your own.

~*~

Written by Charlotte.