Chapter 4

It was 5:47 am when I woke up to get Michael out. He was sleeping so peacefully and I didn't wanna wake him up knowing what kind of night he's had, but I had too. I shook him a little to wake him up.

"Michael?" I whispered loudly. "You have to wake up."

He groaned and rolled over grabbing me and pulling me close.

"But I just wanna stay here and lay down for just a few more minutes." he groaned.

"A few minutes for you is an hour and we can't afford for my mother to find you here."

"Whatever. I'm getting up now."

"ok Mikey."

He got up and put his pants back on and his sweater on.

"well good bye Clover. I'm going home to get more sleep. I'll see you at school. and you don't have to wait on me to leave because I might be late." he said. I walked him quietly to my door, so I didn't wake my mother up.

"Hey Mikey, we should just skip today. Maybe go to your house, get more sleep, watch movies, play games."

"Wow. All of this coming from Miss Clover Winters??"

"Shh. Try to be more quiet. But we should. We both didn't get enough sleep last night. Just tell your mother you aren't feeling well."

"Sure. I will. Let's do it then."

"Ok. Bye Mikey."

"Bye baby." he said kissing my cheek.

When he left I went back to sleep and tried my best to be fake sick. I usually wake up before my mother so sleeping in will make her think something's wrong anyway.

While I was asleep I heard my mother calling me and telling me that I was late.

"Baby wake up. You're already late!"

"Mommy I have a headache and I haven't felt well all night. I had to go make myself tea this morning and everything. Do I have to go to school today?"

"I did hear your footsteps this morning. But if you honestly don't feel well you don't have to go. Besides it's the end of the year and you're graduating. So who cares?"

My mother didn't really care about my attendance as long as I got work done. Which I did, so I knew it'd be easy for me to stay home.

After my mother left to work and took my siblings to school, I texted Michael asking if his mother bought his act and he said yes. She's usually let's him stay home if he hasn't gotten much sleep sense she knows his condition. After he replied I put on some sweats and a sweater and walked over to Michaels house. When I got there Michael immediately opened the door being as though he was expecting me. We went to his room and decided to go to sleep for a while, but neither of us could actually fall asleep.

"Michael?" I called

"yeah?"

"what happened last night that you had to leave the house?" This was bugging me all night and I just had to ask.

"Well I just didn't wanna be hear ya know? I just wanted to be with you because you always help me. But I didn't wanna be here. I just didn't."

"Why didn't you?"

"I just didn't ok! Last night I just had so much going on in my head I couldn't handle being in here." He snapped at me. It was unexpected but I didn't want to fight him back.

"ok it's find then." I said pulling away from him.

"No, Clover, I'm sorry for yelling at you. Don't be mad at me I was just frustrated." he said pulling me closer.