ventuno | call-ups

PAULO SMILED AT NAOMI, who was in a deep sleep

PAULO SMILED AT NAOMI, who was in a deep sleep. He noticed that her nose wrinkled the slightest-bit and she moved from her position. "Sleeping beauty has finally awakened?"

"Have you been watching me sleep, Paulo?" She asked, without even opening her eyes. She knew the answer to her question without a doubt, but she just wanted to hear what kind-of lame excuse Paulo would make.

"Yes, and before you say anything I've been watching crime shows all morning, and before you say anything- about the fact that I was watching you- being creepy or tease me, it's romantic, Nao! Come on, you're going to tell me that staring at the person you love with admiration isn't romantic?"

The person you love. That's all she had really paid attention to. "Never really took you for the romantic-type, Paulo."

Did Paulo truly love Naomi; the way he claimed he did many times? Love, or showing any type of affection was an on-and-off-again thing in their relationship. It seemed to disappear at the moments when she really needed it the most.

"You know that I've always been the romantic-type, Naomi. You just seemed to dislike all the cheesiness, so I thought you hated stuff like that," he explained.

She loved the romantic side of him, but then again, that was before Paulo ever did anything to hurt her. As time passed, she had slowly grown to hate whenever he acted romantic, but a part of her always loved it. But to her, whenever he did something for her; it was as if it was done out of guilt- for the cheating- then out of love.

"I actually liked seeing you trying to be romantic," she laughed, turning on her side to face the beautiful, bright emerald eyes that belonged to Paulo.

"Trying? I was pretty successful at being romantic and cheesy if I do say myself," he spoke confidently.

Naomi nodded, "sure you were, Paulo," she retorted sarcastically. "What are our plans for today Dybala?" She stood up, heading towards the bathroom to freshen up.

"You calling me just Dybala sounds strange to me. I was going to suggest hiking this morning, but I don't need you whining the entire trail as we hike," he laughed, as he sat up on the bed and watched as Naomi's head peeked out and smiled sheepishly. "So we can just watch movies all day and eat, plus they're announcing the call-ups for the national team today, might as well watch that too."

"Sounds like a plan," she smiled "But you seem way too calm about the fact that the call-ups for the national team is today, Paulo."

He shrugged, "They don't matter, it's whatever, Nao." As if she would believe that the call-ups weren't a big deal to him.

Naomi furrowed her eyebrows and her face gave away a look of confusion, "Are you sure it's 'whatever'?" She questioned.

"I don't have the highest expectations, so I don't want to have my hopes up for something that may not even happen for me," he paused and let out a sigh. "Literally, every time I've been called up for Argentina, to play a friendly; I spend the entire match on the bench. And quite frankly, I don't think they need another bench-warmer on the squad for the World Cup."